SAGE Publications(Redirected from Sage Publications, Inc)
SAGE Publishing is an independent publishing company founded in 1965 in New York by Sara Miller McCune and now based in California. It publishes more than 1,000 journals, more than 800 books a year, reference works and electronic products covering business, humanities, social sciences, science, technology and medicine. SAGE also owns and publishes under the imprints of Corwin Press (since 1990), CQ Press (since 2008), Learning Matters (since 2011), and Adam Matthew Digital (since 2012). It has more than 1,500 employees in its principal offices in Los Angeles, London, New Delhi, Singapore, Washington DC, and Melbourne.
|Founder||Sara Miller McCune and George D. McCune|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Headquarters location||Thousand Oaks, California|
|Key people||Sara Miller McCune, Blaise Simqu, Stephen Barr, Vivek Mehra, Paul Evans|
|Publication types||Academic books, journals, reference and library products|
|Nonfiction topics||Social science, science, medicine, humanities, technology|
|Imprints||Corwin, CQ Press, Learning Matters and Adam Matthew|
Sara Miller McCune is executive chairman of SAGE Publications, which she founded in 1965 in New York City. The company moved to Southern California in 1966. McCune remained president for 18 years and became chairman in 1984, developing the company with her husband George D. McCune. The name of the company was derived from their respective given names (SAra and GEorge).
SAGE Publishing was a founding member of the Open Access Scholarly Publishers Association (OASPA) when it was established in 2008. In November 2013, OASPA reviewed SAGE's membership after the Journal of International Medical Research published a false and intentionally flawed paper created and submitted by a reporter for Science as part of a "sting" to test the effectiveness of the peer-review processes of open access journals (see Who's Afraid of Peer Review?). SAGE's membership was reinstated at the end of the six month review period following changes to the journal's editorial processes.
- "Welcome to SAGE". SAGE. Retrieved April 2, 2016.
- "SAGE Imprints". SAGE Imprints Page. SAGE Publications. Archived from the original on 4 March 2007. Retrieved 1 May 2012.
- "Sage Publications USA acquires CQ Press from Times Publishing Co — May 30, 2008 - M&A Deal Snapshot". AlacraStore.com. Retrieved 2010-08-08.
- "Sage acquires Learning Matters". The Bookseller. Retrieved 13 April 2012.
- Verma, Henrietta (October 11, 2012). "SAGE Acquires Adam Matthew". Reviews. Library Journal.
- Shine, Bridget (March 2012). "The IPG Independent Publishing Awards 2012". Independent Publishers Guild. Archived from the original on 14 April 2012. Retrieved 25 September 2013.
IPG Academic & Professional Publisher of the Year - SAGE
- "Sara Miller McCune: Executive Profile & Biography - Bloomberg". www.bloomberg.com. Retrieved 2018-01-08.
- "The SAGE Story" (PDF). SAGE Publishing. Retrieved 6 June 2016.
- Brynko, Barbara (June 2011). "Simqu: Leading the Change at SAGE Publications". Information Today. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Malakoff, David (11 November 2013). "Open-Access Group Sanctions Three Publishers After Science 'Sting'". Science Insider. Retrieved 23 April 2014.
- Shaffi, Sarah (29 April 2014). "OASPA reinstates Sage membership". The Bookseller. Retrieved 29 April 2014.