This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Russell Elevado (born 1966 in the Philippines), is a recording engineer and record producer based in New York City. Elevado earned a Grammy award in 2000 for his work recording and mixing contemporary R&B recording artist D'Angelo's critically acclaimed album Voodoo. Voodoo is now considered a classic album in the contemporary R&B genre and paved the way for the neo soul movement. Elevado's "old school" engineering techniques and preference for using mostly vintage equipment gave the album a sound reminiscent of classic soul or funk records fused with hip-hop textures and psychedelic treatments heard on classic 1960s and 1970s rock records. In 2015 he and D'Angelo won another Grammy for Best R&B Album for his work on D'Angelo's Black Messiah, the long-awaited follow-up to Voodoo. Also notable is his work with The Roots, Erykah Badu, Common and Bilal.
In 2009, he received a Grammy nomination for Best Engineered Album for engineering Al Green's Lay It Down. Elevado has worked with some of the most influential artists and producers of his time, including Alicia Keys, Questlove, Rick Rubin, Tony Visconti, Mark Ronson, Roberta Flack and Blackalicious. He remains faithful to analog recording techniques and equipment in the modern era of digital recording and is one of only a handful of engineers and producers who still prefer analog tape as their recording medium.
Full albums mixed
- Angélique Kidjo - "OYO"
- Blackalicious - “Blazing Arrow”
- Blackalicious - “The Craft”
- Corneille - “Birth of Cornelius”
- D'Angelo - “Voodoo” (engineered and mixed)
- D'Angelo- "Black Messiah"
- Dave Chappelle’s Block Party - Soundtrack w/ various artists
- David Ward - “Violet, Gold + Rose” (mixed and mastered)
- Dornik- "Dornik"
- Fredy Massamba - "Makasi"
- Goapele - “Change It All”
- iET - "So Unreal"
- Inky - "Primal Swag"
- Jay-Z Feat. The Roots - “MTV Unplugged”
- Kamasi Washington- "Truth"
- Karl Denson - “The Bridge”
- Keziah Jones - “Black Orpheus”
- Keziah Jones - "Captain Rugged"
- Mike Andersen - "Echoes"
- Nikka Costa - "Everybody’s Got Their Something”
- Nikka Costa - "Pebble to a Pearl"
- Patrice - “Nile”
- Patrice - "One"
- Roy Hargrove presents The RH Factor - “Hard Groove” (Co-produced, engineered and mixed)
- Roy Hargrove presents The RH Factor - “Strength” (Co-produced, engineered and mixed)
- Roy Hargrove presents The RH Factor - “Distractions” (Co-produced, engineered and mixed)
- Saul Williams - “Amethyst Rock Star”
- The Dandy Warhols - The Dandy Warhols Are Sound
- Tye Tribbett & G.A - “Life”
- Today - "The New Formula" "I Got the Feeling" (Engineered)
- Wayna - "The Expats"
- Zap Mama - "ReCreation"(mixed)
- Today - The New Formula (LP liner notes). Motown Record Company L.P. MOT-6309