Retro-Pulp Tales is a limited edition anthology published by Subterranean Press in 2006, edited by Joe R. Lansdale. It tied in winning the 2006 Bram Stoker Award for Best Anthology (the other winning title was "Mondo Zombie" edited by John Skipp).
It contains new stories written in the style of the pulp magazines of the early 20th century. Lansdale's guidelines for Retro Pulp Tales were basic: "Write a story in the vein of the old pulps ... that takes place before 1960, and with the restrictions of those times."
It includes contributions by Bill Crider, Stephen Gallagher, Melissa Mia Hall, Alex Irvine, Tim Lebbon, Kim Newman, Norman Partridge, Gary Phillips, James Reasoner, Al Sarrantonio, Chet Williamson, and F. Paul Wilson. This collection was issued as a trade hardcover, a numbered limited edition, and a lettered special edition. All issues have long since sold out.
Table of ContentsEdit
- Devil Wings Over France: A Dead-Stick Malloy Story - James Reasoner
- From the Back Pages - Chet Williamson
- The Body Lies - Tim Lebbon
- New Game in Town - Alex Irvine
- Incident on Hill 19 - Gary Phillips
- Zekiel Saw the Wheel - Bill Crider
- The Box - Stephen Gallagher
- Sex Slaves of the Dragon Tong - F. Paul Wilson
- Clubland Heroes - Kim Newman
- Summer - Al Sarrantonio
- Alien Love at Zero Break - Melissa Mia Hall
- Carrion - Norman Partridge
- http://www.sfsite.com/07a/rp227.htm review retrieved 6/2/13
- http://www.oocities.org/craigsbookclub/retropulptales.html extensive review retrieved 6/2/13