This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A rescue dog is a dog that has been placed in a new home after being abused, neglected, or abandoned by its previous owner. The term can also apply to dogs that are found as strays, surrendered by owners following relationship breakdowns, moving home where the owner is unable or unwilling to take their pets, or elderly people who are not permitted to take their dog(s) into a nursing home.
Many animal rescue organisations exist to rescue, protect, care and re-home dogs from unnecessary euthanasia. Common examples include the RSPCA in the United Kingdom and other Commonwealth countries, the ISPCA in Ireland, or the ASPCA in the United States. Many rescue dogs are rehomed quickly, but some wait longer for a home. This may be relevant when the dog is older. Some agencies provide ongoing health care and support for older dogs after they have been placed in a home. There are several charities dedicated to rescuing and rehoming older dogs.
A study conducted by the United States National Council on Pet Population Study and Policy (NCPPSP) in 1998 found that the main reasons for pets being relinquished are: family moving, landlord will not allow pets, too many animals in household, cost of keeping the pet, owner is having personal problems, inadequate facilities, and no homes available for puppies. The study found that 47.7% of dogs turned in to shelters were not altered (spayed or neutered), 33% had not been to a veterinarian, and 96% of dogs had no obedience training. The conclusion of the researchers was that the owners who were relinquishing their pets did not have the knowledge to be responsible dog owners, and that educational programs aimed at present and prospective owners would reduce the number of dogs relinquished to animal shelters.
- Rescue dog. Collins English dictionary. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- SA Dog Rescue. Home Page. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- SAFE Busselton. Home Page. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- 8 reasons to adopt a senior dog. Animals Australia. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- Seniors for Seniors. Dogs' Refuge Home. Retrieved 2017-11-18.
- "Oldies Club". Oldies.org.uk. Retrieved 2014-08-01.
- "Dogs from the Shelter". Archived from the original on March 12, 2016. Retrieved March 12, 2016.
- Salman MD, New JG Jr, Scarlett JM, Kass PH, Ruch-Gallie R, Hetts S (28 October 1998). "Human and animal factors related to relinquishment of dogs and cats in 12 selected animal shelters in the United States" (PDF). Journal of applied animal welfare science: JAAWS. 1 (3): 207–226. doi:10.1207/s15327604jaws0103_2. PMID 16363966.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rescue dog.|