This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Potchefstroom campus of the North-West University (nicknamed "Pukke") was formerly known as the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education (abbreviated PU for CHE). Tuition is mainly in Afrikaans on the Potchefstroom campus and in English on the other campuses in Mafikeng, and the Vaal Triangle (situated in Vanderbijlpark).
About the NWU Potchefstroom CampusEdit
This is the largest of the NWU’s campuses, having had 35,174 students registered in 2008, of which more than 18,800 were enrolled for distance learning programmes. The Potchefstroom Campus also accounts for most of the NWU’s research output and National Research Foundation-rated researchers.
The Potchefstroom Campus has eight faculties: Arts; Natural Sciences; Theology; Education Sciences; Economic and Management Sciences; Law; Engineering, and Health Sciences.
The Campus has 20 research entities, as well as many academic and research centres of excellence.
Faculties and SchoolsEdit
Arts & HumanitiesEdit
- School of Languages
- School of Social and Government Studies
- School of Music
- School of Communication Studies
- School of Philosophy
- School of Chemical and Physical Sciences
- School of Biological Sciences
- School of Geo- and Spatial Sciences
- School of Computer, Statistical and Mathematical Sciences
- Centre for Business Mathematics and Informatics
- Centre for Environmental Management
- Centre for Human Metabonomics
- Centre for Space Science
- School of Ancient Language and Text Studies
- School of Ministers' Training
- School of Biblical Counseling and Church Ministry
- Greenwich School of Theology
- School of Human and Social Science for Education
- School of Education Studies
- School of Natural Science and Technology for Education
- School of Business Management
- Law Clinic
- Potchefstroomse Electronic Law Journal (PER)
- NWU Students Law Review
- School of Chemical and Minerals Engineering
- School of Electrical, Electronic and Computer Engineering
- School of Mechanical and Nuclear Engineering
- School of Bio-kinetics, Recreation and Sport Science
- School of Pharmacy
- School of Physiology, Nutrition and Consumer Sciences
- School of Psychosocial Behavioral Sciences
- School of Nursing
The University has several touring groups.
One of these, the Alabama Student Company musical revue group, which was formed in 1943, was well known throughout South Africa. This group was disbanded in 2006.
The PUK-choir is famous across the world. Choir master prof. Awie van Wyk has been directing this choir for years. The current choir master is Kobus Venter.
Student numbers and statisticsEdit
- The Potchefstroom campus has 19 382 contact students with a further 27 619 distance students.
- The male:female split was 32:68.
- 24% of students are postgraduate.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Potchefstroom Campus.|