Plaines Wilhems (Mauritian Creole pronunciation: [plɛn wilɛmz]) is a district of Mauritius. It is the most populous district, with its population estimated at 366,506 as the end of 2018. The district is mainly urban; it consists of four towns, the village of Midlands and part of two other villages. The Plaines Wilhems district does not have a District Council; it has four Municipal Town Councils. The towns are Beau-Bassin Rose-Hill, Curepipe, Quatre Bornes and Vacoas-Phoenix. The villages are Midlands, Cascavelle (East - West in Rivière Noire district) and Moka (West- East in Moka district). The district was named after Wilhem Leicknig. Of Prussian origin, he settled on the island of Mauritius, then known as Isle de France, in 1721.
|• Total||203.3 km2 (78.5 sq mi)|
|• Rank||1st in Mauritius|
|• Density||1,800/km2 (4,700/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+4 (MUT)|
|ISO 3166 code||MU-PW (Plaines Wilhems)|
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (May 2015)
Secondary schools in the district include:
- "Table 1.6(b) - Estimated resident population1 by geographical district, sex and density - Republic of Mauritius2, 2018 & 2019". Annual Digest of Statistics 2019 (XLS). Statistics Mauritius. November 2020.
- "Second and Fourth Schedules". Local Government Act 2011 (PDF). Mauritius National Assembly. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- Housing and population Census 2011 (PDF). Vol. I: Housing and Living Conditions. Statistics Mauritius. November 2011. Retrieved 28 November 2012.
- "History of Quatre Bornes". Municipal Council of Quatre Bornes. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- "3.1 Historical development of the town". Annual Report for Financial Year 2018/2019 (PDF). The Municipal Council of Quatre Bornes. 12 May 2020. pp. 5–6. Retrieved 13 July 2021.
- Home page. Lycée La Bourdonnais. Retrieved on May 4, 2015. "Rue Rochecouste - Forest Side - Curepipe - MAURICE"