Pancharama Kshetras(Redirected from Pancharamas)
This section does not cite any sources. (August 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
As per the legend, a Shivalinga was owned by the Rakshasa king Tarakasura. No one could win over him due to the power of this Shivalinga. In the war between the Devas and Asuras under Tarakasura, Karitkeya and Tarakasura were face to face. Kartikeya used his Shakti Aayudha to kíll Tarakasura. By the power of Shakti Aayudha the body of Tarakasura was torn into pieces. But, to the astonishment of Kartikeya, all the pieces reunited to give rise to Taraka. He repeatedly broke the body into pieces and it was re-unified again.
Lord Kumara Swamy was confused and was in an embarrassed state. Lord Sriman Narayana appeared before him and said “Kumara! Don’t get depressed. Without breaking the Shivalingham worn by the asura you can’t kíll him.” (You should first break the Shivalingam into pieces, then only you can kíll Taraka Lord Vishnu.) He said that after breaking, the shivalingham will try to unite. To prevent the Linga from uniting all the pieces should be fixed in the place where they fall by worshiping them and building temples on them.
By taking the word of Lord Vishnu, Lord Kumara Swamy used his Aagneasthra (weapon of fire) to break the Shivalingham worn by Taraka. The Shivalingham broke into five pieces and was trying to unite by making Omkara nada (chanting Om). Then Surya deva by the order of Lord Vishnu fixed the pieces and worshiped them by building temples over them. By the formation of temple the pieces stopped their movement and were famous of panchrama kshetras. All the five Shivalinga in these five places have scaly marking on them which are believed to be formed by the power of Agneyasthra used by Lord Kumara Swamy.
These places (or Aaramas) are as follows:
- Amararama (in Amaravati): Amaravati is in Guntur district, on the bank of Krishna river. The remaining four are in Godavai districts (two in east Godavari and the other two in west Godavari). Bus facility is good, as all buses will go up to the temple. Amara Lingeswara swami is worshipped by Lord Indra here. The temple is old and in three circles with many temples within the compound. Bala Chamundeswari mata is the goddess here. Venu Gopala swami temple is also in the campus of the main temple.
- Draksharama (Draksharamam): This is near Ramachandrapuram. The temple is very big and has three circles as compounds. It is under the control of the Archeological department. Lord Shri Rama worshiped Lord Shiva here, followed by Lord Surya and Indra. Manikyamaba devi, one of 18 shaktipeethas is present here. Vemulavada Bhima kavi, famous Telugu poet born in Vemulawada in Karapa Mandal, East Godavari, Andhra Pradesh close to Dhraksharamam, got boons from Bhimeswara swami here.
- Somarama (in Bhimavaram): Someswara swami temple is in Gunupudi. It is about 3 to 4 km from the bus stand. The temple looks new, and a holy pond Chandra-kundam Chandra Kundam is in front of the temple. Lord Chandra got rid of his sins here by worshiping Lord Shiva here. Hence the name Someswara swami. Shivalingam change its color according to the lunar month (black at the time of Amavasya, white at the time of Pournami). Annapurna mata temple is on the second floor.
- Ksheerarama (in Palakollu): Ksheera Rama Lingeswara swamy gave Sudarshana chakra to Lord Vishnu here. Upamanya Maharshi got boons and milk from Lord Shiva, hence the name Ksheera (milk) Ramalingeswara swami. The temple is near the bus stand. The temple Gopuram is very high and can be seen from the bus stand. Parvati is the goddess.
- Kumararama (in Samalkota): Kumara Bhimeswara swami temple is in Samarlkota. It is about 20 km from Kakinada and about 1 km from Samarlakota Railway station. It is a very old temple under the control of the Archeological department. Lord Shiva is in the form of very big Shivalinga and one can see Shivalinga through second floor. Kumara swami laid down Shiva Linga here, hence the name Kumararamam. Bala Tripura Sundari devi is the goddess.
|Arama name||Siva's name||Consort name||Installor's name||Location||District||State|
|Amararama||Amaralingeswara Swamy||Bala Chamundika Ammavaru||Indra||Amaravati||Guntur||Andhra Pradesh|
|Draksharama||Bhimeswara Swamy||Manikyamba Ammavaru||Surya||Draksharama||East Godavari||Andhra Pradesh|
|Somarama||Someswara Swamy||Sri Rajarajeswari Ammavaru||Chandra||Bhimavaram||West Godavari||Andhra Pradesh|
|Ksheerarama||Ksheera Ramalingeswara Swamy||Parvati Ammavaru||Vishnu||Palakollu||West Godavari||Andhra Pradesh|
|Kumarama||Kumara Bhimeswara Swamy||Bala Tripurasundari Ammavaru||Kumaraswamy||Samalkota||East Godavari||Andhra Pradesh|