This article needs additional citations for verification. (August 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Otto Group, or Otto GmbH & Co KG (formerly Otto Versand), is a mail order company and currently one of the world's biggest e-commerce companies. It is based in Hamburg, Germany, and operates in more than twenty countries. Otto is primarily a retail e-commerce company, and as a shareholder, it also operates in e commerce services. The Otto group has expanded into real estate and financial services.
|Revenue||12,500,000,000 euro (2016)|
Number of employees
|Subsidiaries||Crate & Barrel, bonprix, About You, 3 Suisses|
Otto Group, a family businessEdit
The family of executive board chairman Michael Otto owns the majority of the company. The company is based in Hamburg, Germany. It was founded by Werner Otto in 1949. The first catalogue was hand produced offering twenty eight styles of shoes. During the 1950s, the product range business volume expanded. Otto introduced telephone orders in 1963, and launched an online shopping website in 1995.
Michael Otto was the former owner of Spiegel, Inc., (the parent company of Eddie Bauer and the former owners of the catalogue Spiegel). It filed for bankruptcy on 17 March 2003. On 25 May 2005, Spiegel, Inc., emerged from bankruptcy renamed Eddie Bauer Holdings, and was primarily owned by Commerzbank.
Individual companies of the Otto Group:
- About You
- Alba Moda
- Baumarkt Direct
- Crate & Barrel
- Freemans Grattan Holdings
- Hanseatic Bank (25%)
- Hanseatic Versicherungsdienst
- Hansecontrol-Cert (49%)
- Hermes Europe
- Hermes Parcel Services in Germany, UK, Italy, Austria
- Hermes-OTTO International
- MyToys.de (74.8%)
- OTTO Doosan Mail Order
- OTTO Group Russia
- OTTO Japan
- Eddie Bauer Japan and
- OTTO Office
- Phi-t products & services (50%)
- 3 Suisses International Group
- Witt Weiden
- Manning, C. J. "Catalog Shopping". HowToGermany.com. Retrieved 2010-07-24.
- "Otto & Family". Forbes. Retrieved August 8, 2016.
- News, Ecommerce. "Otto wants to buy e-commerce assets of 3SI". Ecommercenews.eu. Retrieved 2013-07-08.
- "Information about Otto GmbH". Meingutscheinecode. 7 September 2016. Retrieved 2016-09-07.
- http://www.theolympian.com/2011/12/27/1926895/german-industry-mogul-werner-otto.html[permanent dead link]
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Otto-Versand.|
|This German corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Hamburg-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|