An open-access operator is a train operating company that takes full commercial risk, running on infrastructure owned by a third party and buying paths on a chosen route and in countries where rail services run under franchises are not subject to franchising.
- Hamburg-Köln-Express taken over by Flixtrain
- Locomore Stuttgart-Berlin route taken over by Leo Express
- First Harrogate Trains
- Glasgow Trains
- On Route Logistics (company dissolved)
- Platinum Trains
- Rutland Rail (company dissolved)
- East Coast Trains (starts Autumn 2021)
- Abrams, Martin (July 2015). "Passenger's Guide to Franchising" (PDF). Better Transport. p. 4. Retrieved 4 September 2020.
- "MTR launches open access inter-city service". Railway Gazette International. 23 March 2015. Retrieved 20 May 2017.
- "ON ROUTE LOGISTICS UK LIMITED - Overview (free company information from Companies House)". beta.companieshouse.gov.uk. Retrieved 14 May 2020.