Oh! Baby is a 2019 Indian Telugu-language fantasy comedy film directed by B. V. Nandini Reddy. A remake of the South Korean film Miss Granny, it stars Samantha Akkineni, Naga Shaurya, Lakshmi, Rajendra Prasad in the lead roles and music composed by Mickey J. Meyer. Principal photography of the film began in December 2018. The film released theatrically on 5 July 2019 and received positive reviews, with praise for Samantha's performance. A remake is in development by Sajid Nadiadwala titled Jabudani.
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||B. V. Nandini Reddy|
|Produced by||D. Suresh Babu|
Hyunwoo Thomas Kim
|Written by||Lakshmi Bhupala (dialogues) |
Gopimohan (Script Supervision)
|Screenplay by||B. V. Nandini Reddy|
|Music by||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Edited by||Junaid Siddique|
|Box office||est. ₹33.9 crore|
The film begins on Savitri / Baby (Lakshmi), a 70-year-old woman who runs a canteen in a college, which is co-owned by her childhood friend Pasupuleti Kanakaraj / Chanti (Rajendra Prasad), and her son Shekar / Nani (Rao Ramesh) also works therein as a lecturer. During, her young age she dreams to become a great singer which does not come true. Right now, she aspires her grandson Rocky (Teja Sajja), to fulfill her goal. But her relationship with her daughter-in-law Madhavi (Pragathi) does not run on good terms. Things get worse when Madhavi gets a heart attack and do not want to live with Baby. Even the doctors suggest the same. Being cognizant of it, heartbroken, Baby leaves the house and accuses God of her fate. On the way, Rocky calls her for his first music performance at an exhibition where God appears in the form of a saint (Jagapathi Babu), presents her a statue of Lord Ganesha and says it will change her fate. Nevertheless, she finds a photo studio and enters with the hope of getting a good photograph as she would like to print a beautiful photo of hers after her death in the newspaper. The same person appears as the photographer and promises to get back her beauty, after taking the picture, astoundingly, she turns into a 24-year-old young lady (Samantha Akkineni). Looking at it, she becomes bewildered when God appears, while praising Lord Shiva and tells her that this new life is given to fill with joy and enlightenment. Thereafter, she accommodates herself in Chanti's house changing as Swathi, starts a new life and also teams up with her grandson Rocky and becomes a part of the band. Meanwhile, Chanti realizes Swati itself is Baby and supports her at every step. Soon, Vikram (Naga Shaurya), the head of the music company, likes Baby / Swathi's voice and gives her band an opportunity. After a lot of romantic comedy, Vikram proposes to Swathi when she is completely under dichotomy. At the same time, Chanti learns that if Baby loses her blood she again turns into an old lady. At last, the D-day finale of the competition, unfortunately, Rocky meets with an accident, yet, Baby participates and acquires the triumph. Immediately, Baby / Swathi rushes to the hospital leaving a letter for Vikram convincing that to remember her acquaintance as a sweet memory and always be smiling. After reaching hospital she finds Rocky requires AB-ve blood which Baby donates, even after refusal of Chanti & Nani and again transforms into an old lady. In the Climax, it is shown God transforming Chanti into a young boy (Akkineni Naga Chaitanya).
- Samantha Akkineni as 24 year-old ‘’Baby’’ alias Swathi
- Lakshmi as 70 year-old Savitri ‘’Baby’’
- Naga Shaurya as Vikram
- Rajendra Prasad as Pasupuleti Kanakaraju / Chanti/Shakthi (Tamil)
- Rao Ramesh as Nani / Shekar, Baby's son
- Teja Sajja as Ramakrishna “Rocky”, Baby’s grandson
- Raja Ravindra as Inspector Sarma
- Pragathi as Madhavi, Baby’s daughter-in-law
- Aishwarya as Vikram's mother
- Urvashi as Sulochana
- Aneesha Dama as Divya, Baby's granddaughter
- Snigdha as Jahnavi, Vikram's assistant
- Sunayana as Anasuya, Chanti's daughter
- Mirchi Hemanth as Anji, Rocky's friend
- Shreyas Wannere as Asif
During November 2018, pre-production of an untitled film commenced with costume selection. Initially titled as "O Baby" with the tagline as "Yentha Sakkagunnave" with Samantha Akkineni in the lead role, the full title was revealed to be as O Baby! Yentha Sakkagunnave in December 2018, being bankrolled by Sunitha Tati , People's Media Factory and Suresh Productions. The film's title is being inspired from one of her songs "Yentha Sakkagunnave", which describes the beauty of Samantha in the film, Rangasthalam.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||30 June 2019|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|Producer||Mickey J. Meyer|
|Mickey J. Meyer chronology|
|1.||"Oh! Baby"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Anurag Kulkarni||4:04|
|2.||"Naalo Maimarapu"||Bhaskarabhatla||Mohana Bhogaraju||3:48|
|3.||"Anaganaganaga"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Sreerama Chandra||3:07|
|4.||"Aakasham lona"||Lakshmi Bhupala||Nutana Mohan||3:49|
|5.||"Maha Adbhutham"||Bhaskarabhatla||Nutana Mohan||3:21|
Marketing and releaseEdit
The first look of film presenting Samantha Akkineni was released on 21 May 2019. The teaser of the film released on 25 May. The official theatrical trailer of the film was released on 20 June by Suresh Productions.
The movie was planned to be released on 5 July 2019, along with its dubbed version in Tamil language; it was released in India at this time, and in Kuwait and the United States on July 4, a day earlier. Official streaming partner is Netflix.
The Times of India gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Save for moments in the latter part of the film which are a tad bit melodramatic, Oh! Baby is an enjoyable ride. It's a film that has its heart in the right place and has a lot of great moments to take away from. Nandini Reddy has successfully adapted Korean classic Miss Granny, and has made it her own, and Tollywood is richer for it".The Indian Express gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Samantha Akkineni thrives in the role that reflects the possibilities of youth, the burden of old age, and the society’s indifference to the desires and complaints of old people. Written by director BV Nandini Reddy and Lakshmi Bhupala, the film convincingly captures the circle of life".The News Minute gave 4 out of 5 stars stating "Adopting the body language of a 70-year-old is difficult, but Samantha gives it a reverent, comic touch in this Nandini Reddy directorial".
Deccan Chronicle gave 3.5 out of 5 stars stating "Oh! Baby is a fun film with an emotional touch that is neatly narrated by director Nandini Reddy. The film takes Samantha up a notch, and proves that she can carry a film by herself. They are supported by Rajendra Prasad and Lakshmi".Firstpost gave 4 out of 5 stars stating "Oh! Baby is a treasure box. Open it, dig into it, and cherish everything that it has to offer you. There’s a lot more to this film than just laughs. It’s like sunshine on a gloomy day. It’s a heart-warming film that you won't forget anytime soon".India Today gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Oh! Baby, directed by Nandini Reddy, is everything nice and fine. It makes you understand the struggles your grandmother had to undergo and appreciate the life you have now. Watch it for Samantha and Rajendra Prasad's career-best performances".
Sangeetha Devi Dundoo of The Hindu wrote "Oh! Baby is a fun ode to the complexities that make up our elders. It’s an acknowledgement of their rough rides as much as it is about learning to count your blessings".IndiaGlitz gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "The story line is fascinating. The emotions are heart-tugging in the second half. With better story-telling, imagination and music, 'Oh Baby' would have been even more winsome".Great Andhra gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "“Oh Baby” is a highly enjoyable watch for Samantha’s exceptional acting. This film proves that she is in the best phase of her career and enjoying her roles. This sentimental-family drama completely belongs to Samantha but both Lakshmi and Rajendra Prasad have also added their strength with great performances".Sify gave 3 out of 5 stars stating "Official remake of Korean drama Miss Granny, Samantha starrer Oh Baby is watchable for Samantha's energetic performance. Schmaltzy ending and flabby runtime almost kill the film but it finally works to an extent thanks to Samantha. This is for those who like candy-floss sentiment dramas".
- "Oh Baby! box office: Samantha's film breaks records in the US, crosses 1 million dollar mark". Times of India. 24 July 2019.
- "Tollywood Box office report – 2019: Highest grossing Telugu movies of the year". International Business Times. 22 December 2019.
- "Samantha releases a new poster of 'Oh Baby' explaining her character – Times of India". The Times of India. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- Raja, Sekar (28 December 2018). "Samantha to play Trisha's role in 96 Telugu remake; actress currently shooting for Miss Granny". Firstpost. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Jersey to Brochevarevarura: 7 best films of Telugu cinema in 2019". India Today. 29 December 2019. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- "Best of Telugu cinema 2019: From 'Oh! Baby' to 'Mallesham', here are our picks". The News Minute. 29 December 2019. Retrieved 30 December 2019.
- Hyderabad Times [@HydTimes] (28 November 2018). "Here's a sneak peek of @Samanthaprabhu2's costumes from her upcoming film with #NandiniReddy" (Tweet) – via Twitter.
- "Samantha's next titled O Baby!". Sify. 14 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha's Miss Granny shoot commenced". Sify. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha begins shooting for Nandini Reddy directorial 'O Baby'". The News Minute. Digital Native. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- Vyas (15 December 2018). "'Rangasthalam' song as Samatha's title". The Hans India. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Is Samantha's film with Nandini Reddy a remake of Korean flick Miss Granny?". India Today. Chennai. 15 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Rao Ramesh to play Samantha's son in Oh Baby?". Sify. 28 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "A role reversal for Rao Ramesh". Deccan Chronicle. 29 December 2018. Retrieved 29 December 2018.
- "Samantha Oh Baby First Look | Galli News". Gallinews.Co.In, 2019, http://www.gallinews.co.in/first-look-samantha-in-oh-baby/ Archived 18 May 2019 at the Wayback Machine.
- Movies, iQlik. "Samantha's Favourite Role Ever Is From 'Oh Baby'". iQlikmovies. Retrieved 19 July 2019.
- 100010509524078 (15 March 2019). "ஓ பேபி படத்தை முடித்த சமந்தா". Maalaimalar. Retrieved 19 July 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- "Samantha wraps up her next, Oh Baby". Deccan Chronicle. 17 March 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Oh! Baby first look poster: Samantha Akkineni's upbeat avatar is sure to win your heart - check out". Times Now News. 21 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- Oh Baby teaser out: Samantha promises one hell of a ride. [online] India Today. Available at: https://www.indiatoday.in/movies/regional-cinema/story/oh-baby-teaser-out-samantha-promises-one-hell-of-a-ride-1534637-2019-05-25 [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- Staff, S. and Staff, S. (2019). ‘Oh Baby’ teaser: Samantha Akkineni is a 20-something with a 70-year-old soul. [online] Scroll.in. Available at: https://scroll.in/reel/924723/oh-baby-teaser-samantha-akkineni-is-a-20-something-with-a-70-year-old-soul [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- News18. (2019). Samantha Akkineni's Oh Baby Teaser is Cuteness Loaded with Musical Fun, Watch Here. [online] Available at: https://www.news18.com/news/movies/samantha-akkinenis-oh-baby-teaser-is-cuteness-loaded-with-musical-fun-watch-here-2159589.html [Accessed 27 May 2019].
- "Oh Baby Theatrical Trailer | Samantha Akkineni, Naga Shaurya | Nandini Reddy | Suresh Productions". YouTube. Suresh Productions. 20 June 2019.
- "Watch: Trailer of Samantha's 'Oh Baby' promises good fun". The News Minute. Digital Native. 20 June 2019. Retrieved 20 June 2019.
- "Oh Baby... (2019) - Release Info - IMDb". IMDb. 9 July 2019.
- "OH! BABY MOVIE REVIEW". Times of India. 6 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh Baby movie review: Samantha Akkineni thrives in this fantasy comedy". The Indian Express. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "'Oh! Baby' review: Samantha is the life of this fun yet emotional comedy". The News Minute. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh! Baby! movie review: Oh! Baby, Samantha shines again". Deccan Chronicle. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh! Baby movie review : Samantha delivers a career-best performance in Nandini Reddy's heart-warming drama". Firstpost. 14 February 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh! Baby Movie Review: Samantha is outstanding in a heartwarming fantasy drama". India Today. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "'Oh! Baby' review: When life gives her a second chance". The Hindu. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh Baby Review". IndiaGlitz. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh Baby Review: Samantha Nails It". Great Andhra. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.
- "Oh Baby review: Watchable for Samantha's energetic performance". Sify. 5 July 2019. Retrieved 6 December 2019.