OPPO Digital (Chinese: OPPO影音) is an independently operated overseas division of Chinese company BBK Electronics, sharing the brand name OPPO with OPPO Electronics, also owned by BBK. Founded in 2004, it is based in Menlo Park, California and conducts all of its sales online. OPPO Digital designs and markets audio and video equipment, including Blu-ray Disc players and personal audio products such as headphones and headphone amplifiers, mainly targeting markets in Mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Japan, USA, Europe, Australia, New Zealand and India.
|Founders||Chen Mingyong (陳明永)|
|Headquarters||Menlo Park, California, U.S.|
|Products||Headphones, Blu-ray players|
On April 2, 2018, Oppo Digital announced they were winding down product production and stopping development of new products, but would continue to support existing ones.
In 2009, Oppo introduced a "universal" Blu-Ray player, BDP-83, compatible with DVD, DVD-audio and SACD formats. The unit included a video decoder from MediaTek and a video processing chip from Anchor Bay Technologies. Prior to the BDP-83 were the DV-980H and DV-984H, DVD-to-1080p upconversion, multi-format players. Oppo's Blu-ray players are very popular amongst home cinema and High-end audio enthusiasts.
- BDP-83, Oppo's first universal Blu-Ray-Spieler
- BDP-93, launched 2010, with 3D function and dual HDMI output
- BDP-95, video section similar to BDP-93, but with audiophile audio section
- BDP-103, launched 2012, wiht dual HDMI input
- BDP-103D, launched 2013, video section similar to BDP-103, with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
- DBP-101CI, video section similar to BDP-103, without internet option, modular convertible for professional applications
- BDP-105, video section similar to BDP-103, with audiophile audio section
- BDP-105D, launched 2013, first Blu-Ray player with Darbee-Visual-Presence-Technology
- UDP-203, launched 2016, Oppo's first 4K UHD Blu-Ray player, with High-dynamic-range imaging and Dolby-Vision compatible
- UDP-205, launched 2017, video section similar to UDP-203, with audiophile audio section
- "OPPO影音中国". OPPO Digital China (in Chinese). Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Colin, David (7 July 2005). "A Winning Digital DVD Player". Projector Central.
So who is Oppo? They certainly are not a household name and with good reason as Oppo is a newly created North American branch of BBK Electronics of China, a giant in the manufacture of consumer electronics, employing 12,000 people worldwide. So while Oppo is a new name, the company and the technology behind it are quite substantial.
- Beamish, David. "Review: OPPO Digital DV-971H (US - DVD)". dvdactive.
OPPO Digital are based in Mountain View, CA and are the US arm of BBK Electronics who are a huge Chinese market leader and who have been a private label OEM for companies such as Denon, NEC and BOSE. Manufacturing all sorts of electronics gear, BBK Electronics is a market leader in China and looking to expand globally hence the creation of their North American arm – OPPO Digital.
- "About us". OPPO Digital USA. Retrieved 7 January 2016.
- Deering, Kris (July 2009). "Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Player". Disc Players. Home Theater. Source Interlink Media. Archived from the original on 9 July 2009. Retrieved 20 June 2017.—The page 2 link at the end of the article leads to a listing of players and not an extension of the article text.
- Archer, John (2 April 2018). "Oppo Shock: Popular AV Brand Announces That 'It's Time To Say Goodbye'". Forbes. Retrieved 2 April 2018.
- "Buyblurayplayer.com review of the Oppo BDP-83 Universal Blu-ray Disc player". Archived from the original on 25 April 2012. Retrieved 20 June 2017.
- Rubison, Klaman (24 July 2019). "Stereophile: Music in the Round #37". Sterophile. AVTech Media Americas. Retrieved 30 March 2019.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 22 December 2015. Retrieved 24 December 2015.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)