|Member: Odisha Legislative Assembly|
|Preceded by||Mahamad Hanif|
|Succeeded by||Harekrushna Mahatab|
|Born||17 June 1912|
Bhadrak, Odisha, India
|Died||17 April 2012 (aged 99)|
Bhubaneswar, Odisha, India
|Cause of death||Respiratory Failure|
|Political party||Orissa Jana Congress|
|Awards||Sahitya Akademi Award,1987|
He was imprisoned three times by the British Raj between 1930 and 1942 for nationalist activities. He came to literary prominence as editor of the Odia magazine Dagara, and as a short story writer after independence. In his political career Mohapatra served as a member of the Odisha Legislative Assembly from 1957 to 1971 and as state Minister of Supply and Cultural Affairs from 1967 to 1971.
He died on 17 April 2012 at around 9:45 AM at Kharavelanagar, Bhubaneswar, Odisha from complications of Respiratory Failure. He had been in a coma at the Aditya Care Hospital following a breathing problem. He was three months short of his 100th birthday.
- according to website of Odisha Legislative Assembly born on 17 June, but possibly born 17 June
- "Profile of Shri Nityananda Mahapatra". Odisha Legislative Assembly. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- Das, Sisir Kumar (1995). History of Indian Literature: .1911–1956, struggle for freedom : triumph and tragedy. Sahitya Akademi. p. 702. ISBN 978-81-7201-798-9.
- Lal, Mohan (2006). The Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature, Volume 5. Sahitya Akademi. p. 4062. ISBN 978-81-260-1221-3.
- "Membership of Shri Nityananda Mahapatra in Odisha Legislative Assembly". Odisha Legislative Assembly. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "Post Held of Shri Nityananda Mahapatra". Odisha Legislative Assembly. Retrieved 21 June 2011.
- "List of Odisha Sahitya Akademi Award Winning Books and their Writers". Odisha Sahitya Akademi. Archived from the original on 18 December 2010. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
- "Recipients of Kendra Sahitya Academy Award for Oriya Literature" (PDF). Kendra Sahitya Akademi. Retrieved 11 July 2010.
|This article about an Indian politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|