Never Surrender (song)
"Never Surrender" is a song by Canadian singer Corey Hart. It was released in June 1985 as the first single from his second album, Boy in the Box. The song was number-one for four weeks in Canada and was Hart's highest charting single in the United States, reaching number three on the Billboard Hot 100 (topping the sales only chart for one week) in August 1985.
|Single by Corey Hart|
|from the album Boy in the Box|
|B-side||"Water from the Moon"|
|Released||June 8, 1985|
|Format||7" Vinyl |
|Recorded||Le Studio, Quebec|
|Label||Aquarius (CAN), EMI America (U.S.)|
|Producer(s)||Phil Chapman, Jon Astley and Corey Hart|
|Corey Hart singles chronology|
Allmusic has since called "Never Surrender": "a soaring power ballad of empowerment, giving this album (Boy in the Box) a greater musical and emotional range than his (Hart's) debut." Regarding the song becoming another US hit single Hart said "I really think it's difficult breaking into America regardless of where you're from. I don't think it's any more difficult for a Canadian act than for a band from Oklahoma".
The music video features a story line of Hart leaving his home after an argument with his father and hitchhiking his way to a major city where he finds himself alone and ends with a 'live' performance with his band. Portions of the video were filmed on Yonge Street , Spadina Avenue and Queen Street West in downtown Toronto, including the now defunct Crest Grill. The video's director, Rob Quartly, had worked with Hart on three previous music videos and Quartly was again nominated for a Juno Award for his work on this video.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||20|
|Canada Top Singles (RPM)||1|
|Germany (Media Control Charts)||37|
|New Zealand (Recorded Music NZ)||38|
|US Billboard Hot 100||3|
- "Canada Certifications". CRIA. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Erlewine, Stephen Thomas. "Boy in the Box Overview". Allmusic. Retrieved 2009-03-25.
- Linda Moleski (1986-11-22), Canadian's Overjoyed At US Success - Hart Is Beside Himself, Billboard
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (Illustrated ed.). St. Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 134. ISBN 0-646-11917-6. N.B. the Kent Report chart was licensed by ARIA between mid 1983 and 19 June 1988.
- Canadian Top Singles peak
- "Offizielle Deutsche Charts > Corey Hart – Never Surrender (single)" (in German). GfK Entertainment. Retrieved 2016-04-12.
- "Charts.nz – Corey Hart – Never Surrender". Top 40 Singles.
- "Billboard > Artists / Corey Hart > Chart History > The Hot 100". Billboard. Retrieved 2016-04-12.