Mindoro Airport (Ilocano: Pagtayaban ti Mindoro, Filipino: Paliparan ng Mindoro) (ICAO: RPUQ), also known as Vigan Airport, is an airport serving the general area of Vigan, the capital of the province of Ilocos Sur, located in the province of Ilocos Sur in the Philippines. The airport is the only one located in Ilocos Sur. Note that the airport is not on the island of Mindoro.
Pagtayaban ti Mindoro (Ilocano)
Paliparan ng Mindoro (Filipino)
|Operator||Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines|
|Location||Barangay Mindoro, Vigan, Ilocos Sur|
|Elevation AMSL||10.3 m / 34 ft|
Statistics from the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines.
It is classified as a community airport by the Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines, the part of the Department of Transportation that is responsible for the operations of all airports in the Philippines except the major international airports.
Previously, the airport was considered by the city government as a "sleeping asset", since no revenue was generated from its operations. Plans were made by the city to expand and modernize the airport, in part to lighten the burden of traveling to Vigan from Manila and other cities and towns by bus, as well as to develop the city's burgeoning tourism industry.
In February 2017, the airport re-opened for commercial flights after eight years of private use. Platinum Skies, controlled by former Ilocos Sur governor Chavit Singson, began flights between Vigan and Manila on February 17, 2017 and between Vigan and Basco starting April 2017.
Airlines and destinationsEdit
|Platinum Skies||Basco, Manila|
- "Airline and Airport Code Search". International Air Transport Association. Retrieved 25 September 2017.
- "Philippine Aircraft, Passenger and Cargo Statistics 2001-2008". March 3, 2009. Archived from the original on September 11, 2011. Retrieved April 21, 2009.
- "Transportation". Heritage City of Vigan. City Government of Vigan. Archived from the original on March 28, 2008. Retrieved November 26, 2017.
- Inter Island Airlines to operate scheduled flights from Vigan City[permanent dead link], Alternative Airlines, February 28, 2009
- Realgo, Bryan (15 February 2017). "Vigan airport reopens for commercial flights". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 16 February 2017.