Mike's On: Francesa on the FAN is a sports radio talk show airing on New York City station WFAN, hosted by Mike Francesa. The show debuted on September 3, 2008, as the successor to Francesa's previous program, Mike and the Mad Dog, which was broadcast from 1989–2008 and made Francesa and his partner Chris Russo the first nationally known team in sports radio. When simulcast on television, Mike's On is broadcast under the title The Mike Francesa Show; it was simulcast on the YES Network from its inception until January 31, 2014. On March 24, 2014, Francesa signed an agreement to occasionally simulcast a portion of the show on Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. The arrangement with Fox Sports ended September 11, 2015 with Mike taking the blame for the project not succeeding. Francesa announced his retirement and the final show aired on December 15, 2017.
|Running time||3 p.m.–6:30 p.m.|
|Country of origin||United States|
|Home station||WFAN, WFAN-FM (2008–2017, 2018-present)|
|TV adaptations||Yes Network (2008–2014)|
Fox Sports 1/2 (2014–2015)
|Created by||Mike Francesa|
|Original release||September 3, 2008 – December 15, 2017 (First Run)|
Mike's On returned to the airwaves on May 1, 2018, after what Francesa described as taking "some time off."
The format of the show is similar to Mike and the Mad Dog with Francesa giving his opinions on the major sports stories of the day, as well as answering calls from listeners. Also, Francesa brings on guests from various sports ranging from head coaches/managers and players in the NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB and NCAA to broadcasters, and sports writers from major newspapers across the country. The radio show includes sports updates every twenty minutes provided by John Minko. Roughly two days a week, Fox Sports 1 or Fox Sports 2 will simulcast a portion of the show. In this event, Julie Stewart-Binks provides the sports updates on television.
The show's previous name is Mike'd Up: Francesa on the FAN. Francesa had a TV show on WNBC entitled Mike'd Up: The Francesa Sports Final, and WFAN had to secure permission from WNBC to use the name Mike'd Up. On January 15, 2012, Francesa announced that the show could not reach an agreement with WNBC to continue to license the name Mike'd Up and changed its name to Mike's On: Francesa on the FAN.
He's ready to go.
On the FAN, New York Sports Radio.
Mike's on. Mike's on.
He'll get you the sports any way that he can.
It's Mike Francesa on the FAN.
Sports Radio 66, and 101.9 FM. W-F-A-N.
In 2012, 2013 and 2014, Francesa was ranked number one among the 100 most important sports talk radio hosts in America by Talkers Magazine. Francesa credited colleagues at WFAN for his success with special salute to Russo. Francesa won the 2012 Marconi Award for Major Market Personality of the Year, which is his second since 2000. The announcement was made on September 20 at the 2012 National Association of Broadcasters Marconi Radio Awards Dinner and Show in Dallas, Texas.
- Best, Neil (2008-09-05). "MSG trying to get Francesa's YES show". The Daily News. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- Blitz, Bob's (2013-12-15). "YES Network Dumps Mike Francesa for the $avings of The Michael Kay Show". BobsBlitz.com. Retrieved 2013-12-15.
- Blitz, Bob's (2014-03-12). "FOX Sports 1 & 2 COO David Nathanson Comments on Mike Francesa Joining the Fledgling National Network". BobsBlitz.com. Retrieved 2014-03-12.
- "Mike Francesa, Fox finally end failed marriage". New York Post. September 9, 2015. Retrieved September 10, 2015.
- Best, Neil (2008-09-02). "WFAN goes from 'Mike and the Mad Dog' to 'Mike'd Up'". Newsday. Retrieved 2008-09-05.
- "Francesa Gets New Radio Show Name". Newsday. Cablevision. January 17, 2012. Retrieved January 17, 2012.
- "Mike Francesa Erupts on the Knicks: Complete Opening Segment". YouTube. Retrieved September 2, 2015.
- "2012 TALKERS Heavy Hundred of Sports Talk". Talkers Magazine. 2012-07-20.
- "Industry News". Talkers Magazine. 2012-07-20.
- Jerry Barmash (2012-09-21). "Mike Francesa and WBLS Are Marconi Award Winners". FishbowlNY.
- "2012 NAB Marconi Radio Award Winners". Radio World. 2012-09-21.