This article possibly contains original research. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2019) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Materiel (more commonly matériel in American English and also listed as the only spelling in some UK dictionaries, both pronounced //, from French: matériel, lit. 'equipment, hardware'), refers to supplies, equipment, and weapons in military supply chain management, and typically supplies and equipment only in a commercial supply chain context.
In a military context, the term "materiel" refers either to the specific needs (excluding manpower) of a force to complete a specific mission, or the general sense of the needs (excluding manpower) of a functioning army.
Materiel management consists of continuing actions relating to planning, organizing, directing, coordinating, controlling, and evaluating the application of resources to ensure the effective and economical support of military forces. It includes provisioning, cataloging, requirements determination, acquisition, distribution, maintenance, and disposal. The terms "materiel management", "materiel control", "inventory control", "inventory management", and "supply management" are synonymous.
Military materiel is often shipped to and used in severe climates without controlled warehouses or fixed material handling equipment. Packaging and labeling often need to meet stringent technical specifications to help ensure proper delivery and final use.
- Random House Dictionary
- Longman Dictionary of Contemporary English
- [Cambridge Advanced Learner's Dictionary]
- DoD Integrated Materiel Management (IMM) for Consumable Items, 4140.26-M, Volume 2, September 24, 2010, Glossary, p. 38.
- Mitchell, D G (December 2017). "The important role of materiel management in building Army readiness". Army Sustainment. Retrieved March 1, 2019.
- Maloney, J. C. (July 2003). "The History and Significance of Military Packaging" (PDF). Defence Packaging Policy Group. Defence Logistics Agency. Retrieved 30 Oct 2016.
- The dictionary definition of materiel at Wiktionary