Marie Stopes International
This article may rely excessively on sources too closely associated with the subject, potentially preventing the article from being verifiable and neutral. (May 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Marie Stopes International is an international non-governmental organisation providing contraception and safe abortion services in 37 countries around the world. Marie Stopes International as an organisation lobbies in favour of access to abortion, and provides a variety of sexual and reproductive healthcare services including advice, vasectomies, and abortions in the UK and other countries where it is legal to do so.
|Founder||Tim Black, Jean Black and Phil Harvey|
|Purpose||To allow women around the world to choose when they have children.|
|Services||Contraception and legal abortion|
In 2015 there were an estimated 21 million women around the world using a method of contraception provided by Marie Stopes International. The contraception and safe abortion services that the organisation provided in 2015 averted 6.3 million unintended pregnancies, 4 million unsafe abortions and 18,100 maternal deaths.
The organisation's core services include family planning; safe abortion and post-abortion care; maternal and child health care, including safe delivery and obstetrics; diagnosis and treatment of sexually transmitted infections; and HIV/AIDS prevention.
In 1975, the Marie Stopes Foundation was bankrupt and entered voluntary administration. It was taken over by Tim Black who re-founded the organisation as a social business named Marie Stopes International in 1976.
In 2000, Marie Stopes opened in Australia, trading under Marie Stopes Australia. It is the only national, independently accredited safe abortion, vasectomy and contraception provider in the country.
In 2008, Marie Stopes International opened in Mexico City state, where legislative change enabled improved access to abortion services.
Marie Stopes International estimated that the services they provided in 2013 prevented approximately 6.1 million unintended pregnancies, 14,300 maternal deaths and 3.1 million unsafe abortions. In 2013 there were 15.6 million women using a method of contraception provided by Marie Stopes International.
Marie Stopes International runs contraceptive social marketing programmes in 17 countries, such as the Kushi contraceptive pill and injectable in India, Raha condom and Smart Lady emergency contraceptive pill in Kenya, Lifeguard condom in Uganda and Snake condom in Australia aimed at the Aboriginal population market.
- International, Marie Stope. "Global Impact Report 2015". Retrieved 2016-11-03.
- "Global Impact Report 2012 Reaching the Under served" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-12-19.
- "Tim Black". The Times. 12 December 2014. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "History". About Us. Marie Stopes International. Retrieved 15 December 2014.
- "Learn More About Us | Marie Stopes AU". Marie Stopes Australia. Retrieved 2018-05-31.
- "News - Marie Stopes International". mariestopes.org. Archived from the original on 2008-06-26.
- 2013 Marie Stopes International Global Impact Report Archived 2015-01-08 at the Wayback Machine
- "Social marketing". Marie Stopes International.