Mairi Gougeon MSP (born Mairi Evans) is a Scottish politician. She is the Scottish National Party (SNP) Member of Scottish Parliament (MSP) for the constituency of Angus North and Mearns in the 2016 Scottish Parliament election. She is a councillor for the Brechin and Edzell ward, having been first elected to this position in 2007. She is the Angus Council's spokesperson on economic development.
|Member of the Scottish Parliament|
for Angus North and Mearns
|Assumed office |
6 May 2016
|Preceded by||Nigel Don|
|Political party||Scottish National Party|
|Alma mater||University of Aberdeen|
Gougeon was first elected to Angus Council in the 2007 council election. She was re-elected in 2012 election. She became convener of infrastructure services. then later the development and enterprise convener.
Gougeon was chairwoman of the East of Scotland European Consortium. She did some political work in Brussels. She represented Convention of Scottish Local Authorities (COSLA) on the executive of the Council of European Municipalities and Regions (CEMR).
In August 2015, Gougeon was selected to be the SNP candidate for Angus North and Mearns at the 2016 election for Scottish Parliament, replacing the incumbent MSP Nigel Don. She was appointed Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment in June 2018.
Gougeon married Paris-born Baptiste Gougeon in July 2017.
- "Angus". The Herald. Glasgow. 12 April 2007. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "SNP take two of the three Brechin seats". Brechin Advertiser. 9 May 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "New make-up of Angus Council revealed". Montrose Review. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Plan to help local business prosper". Brechin Advertiser. 2 May 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Councillor aiming for Holyrood". Brechin Advertiser. 20 August 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- Davidson, Jenni (10 December 2015). "European young councillors meet in Edinburgh". Holyrood. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- McColm, Euan (23 August 2015). "The battles before Holyrood election". The Scotsman. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Second SNP MSP ditched by own supporters ahead of Holyrood election". STV News. 14 August 2015. Retrieved 5 May 2016.
- "Minister for Rural Affairs and the Natural Environment". Scottish Government. Retrieved 9 October 2018.
- Kuc, Morag (2 August 2017). "Mairi Evans to bring French connection to Scottish Parliament". Mearns Leader. Retrieved 12 October 2016.