This article contains content that is written like an advertisement. (November 2011) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Micros Systems, Inc.; now owned by Oracle Corporation and renamed Oracle Hospitality (one of the global business business Units at Oracle Corporation), was headquartered in Columbia, Maryland, United States (as is the business unit it still based there). The company manufactured and sold computer hardware, software, and services for the restaurant point of sale, hotel, hospitality, sports and entertainment venues, casinos, cruise lines, specialty retail markets and other similar markets. Analyst estimates cited in 2003 put Micros' market share at about 35% of the restaurant point-of-sale business.
|Industry||Hospitality support, Computer hardware|
|Founded||1977, incorporated 1978|
|Headquarters||Columbia, Maryland, United States|
|Peter Altabef (President & CEO)|
|Products||Point of sale systems|
Property management systems
|Revenue||US$1,007.9M (FY11; 10.2% increase from FY10)|
Number of employees
The company was incorporated in 1977 as Picos Manufacturing, Inc. and changed its name to Micros Systems, Inc. in 1978. Micros Systems, Inc. was headquartered in Columbia, Maryland. The name Micros is an acronym for Modular Integrated Cash Register Operating Systems.
Opera is the Micros property management system used in many large hotel chains, such as Four Seasons Hotels and Resorts, Travelodge Hotels UK, Crown Resorts, Hyatt Hotels and Resorts, Rydges Hotels and Resorts, Oberoi Hotels & Resorts,Jupiter Hotels, Marriott Hotels, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Resorts and Suites, Radisson Hotels and Resorts (subsidiary of Carlson Companies), the InterContinental Hotels Group and the Thistle Hotels.
With the purchase of the company Torex from Cerberus Capital Management, Micros acquired MiRetail Hub, a Workflow application written using Windows Workflow Foundation and designed for the Retail market.
|Torex||September 2012||Till systems in the UK|||
|TIG Global||January 2010||specializes in hotel Internet marketing and destination Internet marketing|||
|Fry||August 2008||strategy and marketing through design, development, managed services and fulfillment; development of e-commerce applications|||
|Micros-Retail||January 2008||combining the subsidiaries: Datavantage, CommercialWare and eOne Group|||
|CommercialWare||February 2006||cross-channel commerce infrastructure solutions: point-of-sale, back-office, order management, fulfillment, customer service, collaboration, and analytics applications|||
|JTECH Communications||January 2005||on-premises wireless messaging systems (pagers) for the retail, hospitality and healthcare industries|||
|Datavantage||May 2003||information technology solutions for the specialty and general merchandise retail industry, analytic solutions|||
|Indatec (German)||January 2001||point-of-sale terminals, peripherals and associated software for independent restaurants and other catering facilities|||
|Hospitality Solutions International||November 2000||point-of-service and enterprise systems for restaurants, hotel management software|||
|Micros Fidelio Germany||November 1995||property-management systems (PMSs), hotel computer information systems|||
|Micros Fidelio Nordic|
|Micros Fidelio UK Ltd|
|Micros-Fidelio Asia Pacific|
- "Oracle and Micros Systems". www.micros.com.
- "Oracle and Micros Systems". www.micros.com.
- "Yahoo Finance". Finance.yahoo.com. 2010-12-01. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Third-party citation Archived 2007-05-23 at the Wayback Machine of article from Hotel & Motel Management; original no longer available online
- "Oracle Buys Micros Systems" (Press release). Oracle Corporation. June 23, 2014. Retrieved June 23, 2014.
The transaction is valued at approximately $5.3 billion, or $4.6 billion net of Micros’ cash.
- DF. "Benefits of using Micros Systems". Business Knowledge Source. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "Marriott to install Micros Opera at its international properties-06 July, 2005". Travelmole.com. 2005-07-06. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- "Wired Hotelier Article April 22, 2003". Wiredhotelier.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.
- Baker, Michael B. (2007-04-23). "Business Travel News April 23, 2007". Btnmag.com. Retrieved 2010-12-23.[permanent dead link]
- The Escape. "Home - Omnico Digipos". digipos.com.
- "Torex aquired [sic] by Micros". Retrieved 21 August 2013.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros Acquires TIG Global, Expanding Web Services Portfolio for Hospitality Industry". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros Systems, Inc. Acquires Fry, Inc". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Bernstein, Rachel (7 January 2008). "Micros combines subsidiaries". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Rogers, Peter. "Datavantage Acquires CommercialWare". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros Systems, Inc. Acquires JTECH Communications, Inc". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros Systems, Inc. Acquires Datavantage Corporation". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros ACQUIRES INDATEC GMBH & CO. KG". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- Louise, Casamento. "Micros acquires the hospitality division of hospitality solutions international". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "Micros Systems, Inc. -- Company History". Retrieved 17 January 2010.
- "Micros Systems, Inc. Annual Report 1997" (PDF). Retrieved 17 January 2010.