M. P. Birla Foundation Higher Secondary School
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
M.P. Birla Foundation Higher Secondary School is a private school in Kolkata, West Bengal, India. It is coeducational and teaches in English. The school started in 1988. It is run by the M.P. Birla Group, the philanthropic wing of the Birla family.
|M. P. Birla Foundation Higher Secondary School|
James Long Sarani
|Motto||विद्या ददाति विनयं Vidya Dadati Vinayam|
("From God we receive and to God we offer")
|Vice Principal||Mrs. Purnima Chatterjee|
|Asst. Vice Principal||Mrs. Shrabani Roy Chowdhury|
The principal of the school was Mr. Herbert George who started his tenure in 1989. It is located in James Long Sarani, Behala, Kolkata. It follows the CISCE board of education. The school followed CBSE before switching to CISCE.
Sri Madhav Prasadji Birla (1918 - 1990) and Smt. Priyamvada Devi Birla (1928 - 2004) are the school's founders.
- Football field, basketball court, and back field which houses the volley court and facilities for badminton
- Air conditioned assembly hall cum Auditorium.
- Physics, chemistry, biology and computer laboratories, and audio visual rooms.
- Music and dance room.
- Language room.
- Educomp Smart Class Program.
- A well equipped Library to offer a plethora of books.
- Canteen to offer food at a subsidized rate.
The school has four houses named after sites of learning in ancient India. They are Nalanda (green), Taxila (yellow), Ujjaini (red) and Vikramshila (blue).
- The school organises a 2-day exhibition-cum-fete every January which is attended by students, alumni, parents, teachers and staff members. The event alternates with the school cultural program.
- The school has a cricket club named SPECTRUUM which organises inter-school cricket tournament annually.
- The school even has its own Drama Club known as DRAMACRACY which organises inter-house and even inter-school drama competitions.
- The school has a registered charitable organisation Sparsh,. The organisation promotes social welfare. It organizes an annual inter-school Basketball Tournament Hoops.
- The school has its own Counter Strike Team, which is the only official clan in Kolkata.
- Along with the students of South Point, the students of M. P. Birla judge city pandals during Durga Puja. The event is called M. P. Birla Puja Utkarsh Samman.
- An annual Sports Day is held during the winter season.
- MPBLITZ and VIBGYOR are the two inter-school fests organized by the school for the senior and junior sections respectively.
- Every year the alumni meet Milaap is held in school.
- The school celebrated its Silver Jubilee year in session 2012-13.
Trips and ExcursionsEdit
The summer vacation is of approximately four weeks duration covering May and June. The Puja vacation is roughly for two weeks, corresponding to the festival in West Bengal, while the winter vacation is of two weeks' duration. Excursions, in the country and abroad, are organized annually to develop confidence and self-esteem in children. Short visits to places of interest in and around Kolkata are organized regularly.
The prayers sung in the school assembly are:
- Yaa Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shakti Rupena Samsthita, Namastasyai, Namastasyai, Namastasyai Namo Namaha, Yaa Devi Sarva Bhuteshu Shanti Rupena Samsthita, Namastasyai, Namastasyai, Namastasyai Namo Namaha, Yaa Devi Sarva Bhuteshu VIDHYA Rupena Samsthita, Namastasyai, Namastasyai, Namastasyai Namo Namaha
- Vakratunda mahakaya surya koti sama prabha nirvighnam kurume deva sarva karyesu sarvada
- Tvameva Mata Ca Pita Tvameva/Tumhi ho Mata, Pita Tumhi ho, Tumhi ho bandhu, sakha Tumhi ho
- Asato ma sad gamaya
- Raghupati Raghava Raja Ram
- Jana Gana Mana
The National Pledge is also recited.
Special classes are provided to the weak students, who fail to come up to the school standards. Students who fail to meet the academic standards are provided with mentor teachers who monitor their performance and visit their house to interact with parents.
|Years in school||Name||Subject taught||Additional information|
|1988 -||Moon Moon Mukherjee||History|
|1988 -||Dr.Susmita Duari||Physics|
|1988 -||Anirudh Chaterjee||English|
|1988 -||Debamita Adhikary||Biology and others|
|1988 -||Srabani Sengupta||Geography|
|1988 -||Aparna Chakroborty||Computer|
|1988 -||Smita Mukherjee||Geography|
|1988 -||Mousumi Pathak||Chemistry|
|1988 -||Parvati Subramaniam||History, English|
|1988 -||Bishnupriya Banerjee||Bengali||Died 24 December 2012|
|1988 -||Madumita Dasgupta Shyam||English|
|1988 -||Usha Rajeev||Biology|
|1988 -||Sharmila Bose||Hindi|
|1988 -||Swapna Basu||Biology|
|1988 - 2005||Anindita Banerjee||Maths||Vice-Principal Apeejay School Kolkata|
|1988 - 2005||Alamelu Narayanan||SUPW|
|1988 - 2017||Samir Chatterjee||Physical Training Instructor|
|1989 - 2020||Herbert George||Principal. Passed away on 19th October 2020.|
|1989 -||Tapas Kumar Saha||P.T.|
|1991||Purnima Chatterji||Chemistry||Vice Principal|
|1993 -||Rishi Raj Maity||Physics.|
|1995 -||Partha Pratim Pal||Physics|
|1995 - 2019||M. Chacko Baby||Maths|
|1995 -||Dr. Kanchan Prabha Shrivastav||Hindi|
|1996 -||Shampa Chowdhury||Accounts|
|1996 - 2002||Anurekha Borkakoti||Economics|
|2002 - 2004||Sundari Das||English|
|2002 -2016||Chandreyee Chatterjee||English|
|2004 -||Lipika Guha||Geography /Mathematics|
|2005 - 2016||Soma Bhargav||SUPW|
|2005 -||Mudhumita Dasgupta||Maths|
|2005 - 2019||Kaberi Roy||Commerce|
|2006 -2015||Rumela Roy||English|
|1998 -2016||Anusree Kapur||Hindi /English||Died on 25 August 2016|
|2015 -||Nazia Karim||English|
|2016 - 2017||Kaustav Bannerjee||Music|
|2017-2018||Abhishek Haldar||Physical Training Instructor|
|2019 -||Sudeshna Rey||Mathematics|
Media, arts and entertainment
- Anupam Roy - singer
- Saurav Jha - author
- Sayantani Ghosh - actress
- Tridha Choudhury -Tollywood actress
- Abhishek Banerjee - leader Of Trinamool Youth Congress
- "M.P.Birla Foundation H.S.School – A Profile". Retrieved 4 March 2016.