Lucknow gharana (tabla)
Lucknow gharānā, also known as "Purab gharâna", is one of the six main gharānās or styles in tabla. It is characterized by the full usage of the palm besides the fingers, resonant sounds, and the use of ring and little fingers on the Dayan (treble drum).
The Gharana branched out of the Delhi gharānā when the two brothers Modu and Bakshu Khan, the third generation of the lineage of Delhi's Mia Siddhar Khan, moved to Lukhnow, due to political disturbances in Delhi, while one brother Makkhu Khan stayed on in Delhi. In Lucknow, the Nawabs (Muslim princes) mainly patronised Kathak, a classical dance form of the North accompanied by the pakhavaj, the still living ancestor of tabla.
Modu and Bakshu Khan collaborated with the performers of these arts and ended up in creating a unique style of tabla playing adapted from Kathak and pakhavaj compositions, the style now being termed as "Khula Baaj" or "Hatheli ka Baaj". Among these upgrades, "Gat" and "Paran" are two types of compositions that are very common in Lucknow gharānā. Lucknow style has also conceived its very own item, known as "Raon": it consists of extremely fast, delicate and colourful fillings within broad and bold rhythmic designs working as a framework.
Lucknow Gharana is one of the six main gharanas or styles in tabla. This gharana is characterized by the full usage of the palm besides the fingers, resonant sounds, and the use of ring and little fingers on the Dayan.
Prominent names in this Gharānā include;
- Khalifa Abid Hussain Khan
- Chhottan Khalifa
- Khalifa Ustad Wajid Hussain Khan
- Afaaq Hussain (son of Wajid Hussein Khan)
- Ilmas Hussain (son of Afaaq Hussain Khan)
- Hirendra Kumar Ganguly
- S R Chishti (disciple of Afaaq Hussain Khan)
- Santosh Krishna Biswas
- Bibhuti Bhusan Bhattacharyya (Father of Swaraj Bhattacharyya and disciple of Hemanta Bhattacharyya (also a disciple of Manmathanath Ganguly, who was the father of Hirendra Kumar Ganguly))
- Pt. Anil Bhattacharjee (disciple of Wajid Hussain Khan and also Chhottan Khalifa)
- Prof. Biswajit Bhattacharjee. (Primary disciple of Wajid Hussain & Son of Pt. Anil Bhattacharjee )
- Pt. Swapan Chaudhuri (disciple of Santosh Krishna Biswas)
- Sri Nilanjan Chaudhuri (Son of Pt. Swapan Chaudhuri)
- Pt. Subhen Chatterjee (disciple of Pt.Swapan Chowdhuri ).
- pt. Ashoke moitra (disciple of pt.swapan chaudhu
- pt. Swaraj Bhattacharyya (disciple of Pt. Bibhuti Bhusan Bhattacharyya, Ustad Wajid Hussain, Ustad Afaaq Hussain and Pt. Hiru Ganguly )
- Pt. Ujjal Roy (disciple of pt. Ashoke Moitra,pt. Swapan chawdhuri and Pt. Swaraj Bhattacharyya )
- PT.SHYAMAL MAITRA (Disciple of Ustad Afak Hussain Khan)
Lucknow Gharana gave birth to three other Gharanas: Banaras and Farukhabad,also Bhatola Gharana,That cannot be established and unable to come in lime light. Modern disciples of this gharana include the prestigious tabla organization known as Tablaniketan.
- Tabla gharanas