List of plants known as lotus
Lotus identifies various plant taxa:
- Nelumbo, a genus of aquatic plants with showy flowers
- Certain species of Nymphaea (water lilies or Egyptian lotuses):
- Lotus (genus) (including bird's-foot trefoils and deervetches), a terrestrial genus with small flowers
- Saussurea (snow lotus), a herbaceous species from the Himalayan vicinity
- Ziziphus lotus, a shrub species with edible fruit
- Diospyros lotus (date-plum, Caucasian persimmon) a tree with edible fruit
Art and religionEdit
"Sacred lotus" may refer to three species with religious significance that are often depicted in art:
- Nelumbo nucifera - in Buddhism, Hinduism and other Indian religions, and generally in Asia in and to the east of India. Padma (attribute) covers it in Indian religions.
- Nymphaea caerulea - the "blue lotus" in Ancient Egyptian religion
- Nymphaea lotus - the "white lotus" in Ancient Egyptian religion. The two Egyptian species are often interchangeable.
|This page is an index of articles on plant species (or higher taxonomic groups) with the same common name (vernacular name). If an internal link led you here, you may wish to edit the linking article so that it links directly to the intended article.|