The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for books. (February 2014)
The book recounts the story of a white collar employee, Akash, who chooses to live on a local train in Mumbai as a homeless man. He does so to solve his accommodation and commuting issues (both massive problems in Mumbai) but also to get relief from a personal pain that being constantly in motion provides him. The contradictions of his two lives (as a multinational employee during the day and a homeless man with no possessions in the night) change him forever.
A striking feature of the book is its format: the main narrative is punctuated by short stories about characters Akash meets both on the train and in his office, with those characters then taking center stage.
- "Local". Indialog.co.in. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "The man who lived on a train". Rediff.com. 2004-12-31. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Indiantelevision dot com's BookMark - Local by Jaideep Varma". Indiantelevision.com. 2005-07-09. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "LOCAL - JAIDEEP VERMA Review, Summary, Story, Price, Online, Fiction, Nonfiction, LOCAL'S GLOBAL AT HEART!!!". MouthShut.com. 2008-02-08. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- mandar talvekar (2005-11-02). "Ink Scrawl: Book Review: Local by Jaideep Varma". Inkscrawl.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Hail! Mount Helicon: Local - Jaideep Varma". Fromhelicon.blogspot.in. Retrieved 2013-10-09.
- "Local (a novel)". Jebbitlocal.blogspot.in. 2005-08-15. Retrieved 2013-10-09.