Leyla Chihuán(Redirected from Leyla Chihuan)
Leyla Felícita Chihuán Ramos (born September 4, 1975 in Lima) is a retired female volleyball player from Peru, of Quechua and Afro-Peruvian descent, who twice represented her native country at the Summer Olympics. In 2011, she entered politics, becoming a Congresswoman. Currently, she is facing a economic rough time, all due to her low income that has been received since the start of her career, since it is not enough for the pace of life she leads.
|Leyla Chihuán (Fuerza Popular)|
|Full name||Leyla Felícita Chihuán Ramos|
|Born||September 4, 1975|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||66 kg (146 lb)|
|Spike||306 cm (120 in)|
|Block||296 cm (117 in)|
Chihuán played the 1996 Olympic Games and the 2000 Olympic Games ranking in both in 11th place; the 1998 World Championship, finishing in the ninth place, 2006 World Championship, ranking in 20th place. She ranked 11th in the 2007 FIVB World Cup and fifth in the 2009 Pan-American Cup. She was the captain of the Peruvian volleyball national team from 2005 to 2010.
Chihuán ranked in 15th place in the 2010 World Championship, and stated it would be her last tournament with her team and that she would step down as player and captain. After Peru's final match against China she told reporters in interviews that she did not leave because of some physical or age related issue but due to circumstances that she could not control.
She has played in several teams in Spain and Italy.
In 2011, Leyla Chihuán was elected to the Congress of Peru on the list of the fujimorist Fuerza 2011 party, representing the city of Lima. She is one of four female ex-volleyball players serving in Congress for the 2011-2016 term.
- 2009 South American Championship "Best Scorer"
- 2009 South American Championship "Best Spiker"
- 2010 Final Four Cup "Best Blocker"
- Terra. "Perú cae ante República Dominicana y pierde título del Final Four" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- NORCECA. "Best players of tournament awarded". Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- "Leyla explains her retirement from the National Squad" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2010-11-10.
- RPP. "Voleibolista Leyla Chihuán destaca en Superliga española" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2012-09-25.
- "Más ex voleibolistas se suman al Congreso: ahora serán cuatro" (in Spanish). El Comercio. 2011-04-23. Retrieved 2017-12-22.