Leyla Chihuán(Redirected from Leyla Chihuan)
Leyla Felícita Chihuán Ramos (born September 4, 1975 in Lima) is a retired female volleyball player from Peru, of Quechua and Afro-Peruvian descent, who twice represented her native country at the Summer Olympics. In 2011, she entered politics, becoming a Congresswoman.
Leyla Chihuán (Fuerza Popular)
|Peru. Member of Congress|
27 July 2016 – 26 July 2021
27 July 2011 – 26 July 2016
|Born||September 4, 1975|
|Height||1.83 m (6 ft 0 in)|
|Occupation||Member of Congress (2011 - ); Professional volleyball player (1996-2010)|
Chihuán played the 1996 Olympic Games and the 2000 Olympic Games ranking in both in 11th place; the 1998 World Championship, finishing in the ninth place, 2006 World Championship, ranking in 20th place. She ranked 11th in the 2007 FIVB World Cup and fifth in the 2009 Pan-American Cup. She was the captain of the Peruvian volleyball national team from 2005 to 2010.
Chihuán ranked in 15th place in the 2010 World Championship, and stated it would be her last tournament with her team and that she would step down as player and captain. After Peru's final match against China she told reporters in interviews that she did not leave because of some physical or age related issue but due to circumstances that she could not control.
She has played in several teams in Spain and Italy.
- Winiary Kalisz (1997-1999)
- Rio Marsì Palermo (1999-2000)
- Mirabilandia Teodora Ravenna (2000-2001)
- CV Benidorm (2001-2007)
- Gran Canaria Hotel Cantur (2007-2008)
- Universidad de Burgos (2008-2009)
- CV Miranda (2009-2010)
- Regatas Lima (2009-2010)
- Universidad César Vallejo (2013-2014)
- 2009 South American Championship "Best Scorer"
- 2009 South American Championship "Best Spiker"
- 2010 Final Four Cup "Best Blocker"
In 2011, Leyla Chihuán was elected to the Congress of Peru on the list of the fujimorist Fuerza 2011 party, representing the city of Lima. She was one of four female ex-volleyball players serving in Congress for the 2011-2016 term. Chihuán was re-elected in the 2016 general election. Her current term expires in 2021.
In Congress, Leyla Chihuán has served on numerous committees, including the Health and Population Committee, the Education, Youth, and Sports Committee, the Foreign Relations Committee, and the Justice and Human Rights Committee. Chihuán is the vicepresident of the Congressional Leadership Board, the Leadership Council, the Spokespersons' Board, and the Permanent Committee for the current parliamentary session (2018-2019).
She has been the author or co-author of over 100 pieces of legislation or parliamentary resolutions on subjects ranging from health and sports, commerce and industry, Congressional ethics, and the protection of women and minors.
In 2018, Leyla Chihuán was associated with a political scandal referred to as "Chats La Botica". "La Botica" was the title of a cell phone chat group among congressmen from her political party, Fuerza Popular, the contents of which were leaked to Peruvian authorities. The leaked messages included chats, in which Chihuán took part, which featured discussion of protecting judge César Hinostroza Pariachi, who faces charges for corruption.  Nowadays in Peru when people want to say that they do not have money they say: "Estoy Bien Chihuan" the expression has become viral since her infamous comments when she said that the money earned working at the Congress was insufficient for her high standard of life.
- Terra. "Perú cae ante República Dominicana y pierde título del Final Four" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- NORCECA. "Best players of tournament awarded". Retrieved 2010-09-25.
- "Leyla explains her retirement from the National Squad" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2010-11-10.
- RPP. "Voleibolista Leyla Chihuán destaca en Superliga española" (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 2012-09-25.
- "Más ex voleibolistas se suman al Congreso: ahora serán cuatro" (in Spanish). El Comercio. 2011-04-23. Retrieved 2017-12-22.
- "Congreso de la República. Leyla Felicita Chihuán Ramos, Periodo Parlamentario 2016-2021". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Congreso de la República. Labor legislativa - Proyectos de ley, 2016 - 2021". Retrieved 16 December 2018.
- "Discusiones en La Botica". IDL Reporteros. 24 October 2018. Retrieved 4 November 2018.
- "'La Botica': Los insultos de Leyla Chihuán contra periodistas de La República". La República. Diario La República. Retrieved 30 October 2018.