Leica M (camera)
The Leica M (Typ 240) is a full-frame digital rangefinder camera of Leica Camera AG. It was introduced in September 2012, and is the successor to the Leica M9 range of cameras. The M uses a 24-megapixel image sensor. The camera is the first M model to feature movie recording, and the first to have Live View, which allows the scene, as viewed through the lens, to be composed. The M can use most M- and R-mount lenses. Leica M cameras are made by hand in Portugal and Germany. There is also a version, the M Monochrom, with a monochrome, rather than colour, sensor.
|Type||Digital rangefinder camera|
|Lens||Leica M-mount, Leica R-mount (with R-Adapter M)|
|Sensor||Leica MAX 24MP CMOS Sensor, designed by CMOSIS|
|Image sensor maker||STMicroelectronics|
|Maximum resolution||24 Megapixels|
|ASA/ISO range||200 to 6,400. Pull 100 available, Auto ISO|
|Storage||SD up to 2GB and SDHC up to 32GB|
|Exposure modes||Manual, aperture priority auto exposure|
|Exposure metering||TTL, center weighted averaging|
|Flash||Fixed hot shoe|
|Shutter||Focal plane, metal curtains, vertical travel|
|Shutter speed range||60s to 1/4000s|
|Viewfinder||Rangefinder and additional color LCD display: 3", 920,000 pixels. Live View|
|Video/movie recording||1080p, 720p, 640*480 (VGA)|
25 fps, 24 fps, 30 fps (VGA only)
|Battery||Lithium ion, 7.4V, 1,800 mAh|
|Dimensions||139 mm × 80 mm × 42 mm (5.5 in × 3.1 in × 1.7 in)|
|Weight||680 g (24 oz)|
The M Typ 240 has been superseded by variants such as the Leica M (Typ 262).
The M uses a CMOS 24-megapixel (6,000 × 4,000 pixels) image sensor designed for Leica by the Belgian company CMOSIS, and made by STMicroelectronics in Grenoble. The pixels are on a 6 x 6 µm² grid.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Leica M Typ 240.|
- "Leica M Technical data" (PDF). leica Camera. September 2012. Archived from the original (PDF) on 21 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- "The new Leica M as a filmmaker's tool – an interview with Leica's Jesko von Oeynhausen". www.eoshd.com. 24 September 2012. Retrieved 21 November 2012.
- "Leica M – M as in milestone". Leica Camera. September 2012. Archived from the original on 18 September 2012. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Leica M Monochrom Review
- "New Leica M Uses CMOSIS 24-MP CMOS Image Sensor". Antwerp, Belgium: cmosis.com. 17 September 2012. Retrieved 27 September 2012.
- "Fujitsu Microelectronics and Leica Camera Co-develop Image Processing System Solution for High-end Digital SLR Cameras". Fujitsu. 26 September 2008. Retrieved 27 December 2012.
- Fisher, Jim (18 September 2012). "Leica Unleashes New M, S Cameras". PCMag.com. Ziff Davis Publishing Holdings Inc. Retrieved 19 September 2012.