Legacy (Russell novel)
Legacy is an original novel written by Gary Russell and based on the long-running British science fiction television series Doctor Who. It features the Seventh Doctor, Ace, Bernice, the Ice Warriors and Alpha Centauri and a return for the Doctor to Peladon. A prelude to the novel, also penned by Russell, appeared in Doctor Who Magazine #211.
|Series||Doctor Who book:|
Virgin New Adventures
|Preceded by||Tragedy Day|
|Followed by||Theatre of War|
The Doctor is in pursuit of a galactic criminal and the trail leads to Peladon: a desolate world once home to a barbaric, feudal society. Now the Galactic Federation is attempting to bring prosperity and civilisation to the planet. But not all Peladonians support the changes, and when ancient relics are stolen from their Citadel, the representatives of the Federation are blamed. The Doctor suspects the Ice Warrior delegation, but before long the Time Lord himself is arrested for the crime—and sentenced to death.
Elsewhere, interplanetary mercenaries are bringing one of the galaxy's most evil artefacts to Peladon, apparently on the Doctor's instruction. Ace is pursuing a dangerous mission on another world and Bernice is getting friendly—perhaps too friendly—with the Ice Warriors she has studied for so long.
The players are making the final moves in a devious and lethal plan - but for once it isn't the Doctor's...
- Queen Thalira died in a shuttle crash a few years after The Monster of Peladon.
- Alpha Centauri is still alive.
- Mavic Chen succeeded Madam Amazonia (previously seen in The Curse of Peladon) as Guardian of the Solar System.
- The Doctor convinces King Peladon to withdraw from the Galactic Federation, thereby sparing it from the Daleks.
In 1994, Science Fiction Chronicle's Don D'Ammassa reviewed the novel as "Okay, these aren't great art, but for all its simple mindedness, I have a lot more fun in this universe than in the one created by Star Trek."
- D'Ammassa, Don (October 1994). "Review: Legacy by Gary Russell". Science Fiction Chronicle. New York, NY: Algol Press.