Larry Price (Hawaii)
Larry Price is an athlete, media personality, journalist and former civil servant in Hawaii, United States. A resident of Honolulu, he is currently an author, political news columnist for MidWeek and radio co-host of the locally popular Perry & Price on KSSK-FM alongside Michael W. Perry. He also writes and produces television documentaries. Price was formerly an investigative reporter for Honolulu ABC network affiliate KITV. In celebration of its centennial, the City and County of Honolulu named Price to its official list of Top 100 Citizens.
|Coaching career (HC unless noted)|
|Head coaching record|
Price attended President Theodore Roosevelt High School in Honolulu. Price holds several college degrees: a Bachelor of Science degree in 1967 and Master of Business Administration in 1971 from the University of Hawaii at Manoa. He also holds a 1985 Doctor of Philosophy from the University of Southern California and completed post-doctoral work at Stanford University from 1997 to 2003. He continues to teach as MBA professor at Chaminade University of Honolulu.
Price attended Roosevelt High School and then participated as a student-athlete briefly on The University of Hawaii at Manoa track team. After serving in the U.S. Army, Price was a student-athlete who won four letters with the Hawaii football team. Price was elected captain three times, in 1962, 1963, and 1964. He played in three Hula Bowl games for the Hawaii All-Stars in 1957 and 1959 and as a College All-Star in 1965. In 1966 NFL preseason, Price had a free agent rookie tryout with the Los Angeles Rams. Price was the University of Hawaii at Manoa's first NCAA Division I head coach; he was also the first head coach of a NCAA Division I FBS college football program of Polynesian descent. He currently serves as Chairman of the State of Hawaii Sports Hall of Fame Cybermuseum and President of The OIA Foundation.
Head coaching recordEdit
|Hawaii Rainbow Warriors (NCAA Division I independent) (1974–1976)|
Before working at KSSK, Price worked for the administration of Hawaii Governor George Ariyoshi and served as the University of Hawaii Director of the Small Business Management Program. Congressman Cecil Heftel needed a new Vice President of Public Relations and Publicity for his radio station and hired Price for the position in 1977. In August 1983, Price was paired with afternoon radio deejay Michael W. Perry to host the station's morning drive program. A top rated program in the state, the two continue to host the same program today despite various station ownership changes.
Perry and Price host a popular live radio variety show each Saturday in front of a ballroom audience. Over twenty years, it had been broadcast from the Champeaux at the Ilikai Hotel, the Hanohano Room of the Sheraton Waikiki Hotel, John Dominis Restaurant in Waikiki, and after 6 years at Jimmy Buffett's at the Beachcomber, and the show had its final broadcast from the KSSK studios at Dole Cannery. The show's popularity has garnered frequent appearances by celebrities that include Arnold Schwarzenegger, Dolly Parton, Oprah Winfrey and many more.
In May 2016 at 81 years young, Coach Price, one-half of the Perry and Price duo, ended his 33-year run on the top-rated morning radio show in Hawai'i and then began a new sports show with Rick Hamada on KIKI: FOX Sports 990 Hawai'i airing Saturdays at 11 a.m.
- "The Right Price". MidWeek. Archived from the original on 2008-02-04. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "KSSK Radio".
- "Dr. Larry Price Named Professor of Human Resource Management for Chaminade MBA Program" (Press release). Chaminade University. September 11, 2003. Archived from the original on 2008-01-25. Retrieved January 11, 2008.
- "Larry Price". Perry and Price. Archived from the original on 2007-12-30. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- Genegabus, Jason (August 12, 2003). "Still Having Fun". Honolulu Star-Bulletin. Retrieved January 11, 2008.
- "Hawaii's #1 Saturday morning radio show has MOVED to WAIKIKI!". Archived from the original on 2009-07-27. Retrieved 2009-09-10.
- Gordon, Mike (May 13, 2016). "Price less". Star-Advertiser. Honolulu. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- "About the Show". Perry and Price. Archived from the original on 2007-11-18. Retrieved 2008-01-09.
- "After 33 Years, Larry Price Exits KSSK/Honolulu's 'Perry And Price'". All Access Music Group. May 5, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- "Larry Price to leave 'Perry and Price' radio show after 33 years". KHON2. Honolulu. May 4, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- "After 3 decades, Larry Price to leave popular 'Perry & Price' morning radio show". Hawai'i News Now. Honolulu. May 4, 2016. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- Engle, Erika (May 4, 2016). "Price leaving Perry on morning radio". Star-Advertiser. Honolulu. Retrieved September 11, 2017.
- Wakida, Clayton (May 4, 2016). "Larry Price leaving top-rated morning radio show to launch sports show". KITV. Honolulu. Retrieved September 11, 2017.