Langen (Hess) station
Langen (Hess) station is in the town of Langen in the German state of Hesse. It was opened in 1846 with the Main-Neckar Railway and is now served by the Rhine-Main S-Bahn. The station has two side platforms, an island platform and a through track without a platform. The station building and platform canopies are protected as monuments. It is classified by Deutsche Bahn as a category 4 station.
|Location||Bahnhofsanlage 2, Langen, Hesse|
|Opened||June 22, 1846|
The station was opened in 1846 as part of the Main-Neckar Railway. The first section of the line was opened between Langen, Darmstadt and Bensheim on 22 June 1846 and the section from Langen to Frankfurt followed on 16 July 1846. There was a major redesign of the station as part of the construction of the S-Bahn line between Frankfurt and Darmstadt, which was opened on 2 June 1997. Since then, it has had three platforms, four platform tracks and a through track without a platform running towards Darmstadt. In 2012 the tracks were renewed in the station area.
An 82 m² large Servicestore owned by Deutsche Bahn was established at the station in 2009, which is operated by a franchisee. The former ticket hall is closed. The station has 361 bicycle parking spaces, 50 of which are in lockable boxes.
The two-storey entrance building with a basement was built in 1846 on the eastern side of the line towards the town. The building was designed with a neoclassical and symmetrical facade with seven portals under a gable facing the street. On the ground floor there are two pairs of arched windows on the sides with three arched doorways in the middle. This pattern is repeated upstairs, but using rectangular windows. The street frontage is further enhanced by an avant-corps under the gable. A hip roof over a wide frieze and dentils forms the upper part. The platform canopy in front of the entrance building is supported by lattice beams on thin columns with small capitals of cast iron. The two free-standing platform canopies also have cast-iron columns with capitals, which date from 1861. They come from the Darmstadt Main-Neckar station, which was closed after World War I and are also protected as monuments.
The station is served hourly (Mon–Sun) by Regionalbahn service RB 60 (the RMV calls it Stadt-Express service SE 60) between Frankfurt, Darmstadt and Heidelberg and about every two hours (Mon–Fri) by Regional-Express line RE 60 between Frankfurt, Darmstadt and Mannheim. In addition, Rhine-Main S-Bahn services run to Darmstadt every half-hour and to Frankfurt every fifteen minutes, continuing to Kronberg or Bad Soden am Taunus.
|Frankfurt Hbf – Langen (Hess) – Darmstadt Hbf – Bensheim – Weinheim – Mannheim Hbf|
|Frankfurt Hbf – Langen (Hess) – Darmstadt Hbf – Bensheim – Weinheim – Mannheim|
|Frankfurt Hbf – Langen (Hess) – Darmstadt Hbf – Bensheim – Weinheim – Heidelberg Hbf|
|Bad Soden (Taunus) – Niederhöchstadt – Frankfurt West – Frankfurt Hbf – Frankfurt South – Langen (Hess) – Darmstadt Hbf|
|Kronberg (Taunus) – Niederhöchstadt – Frankfurt West – Frankfurt Hbf – Frankfurt South – Langen (Hess) (– Darmstadt Hbf)|
- "Stationspreisliste 2020" [Station price list 2020] (PDF) (in German). DB Station&Service. 4 November 2019. Retrieved 15 November 2019.
- Eisenbahnatlas Deutschland (German railway atlas) (2009/2010 ed.). Schweers + Wall. 2009. ISBN 978-3-89494-139-0.
- Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Hessen, ed. (2005). Eisenbahn in Hessen. Kulturdenkmäler in Hessen (in German). 2.1. Stuttgart: Konrad Theiss Verlag. p. 58. ISBN 3-8062-1917-6.
- "Service bis Mitternacht". Frankfurt Rundschau (in German). 10 April 2010. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Neuer ServiceStore der Bahn im Bahnhof Langen eröffnet" (in German). firmenpresse.de. 17 June 2009. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- "Aktionsplan der Stadt Langen" (in German). p. 12. Archived from the original on 19 February 2014. Retrieved 5 May 2013.
- Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Hessen, ed. (2005). Eisenbahn in Hessen. Kulturdenkmäler in Hessen (in German). 2.1. Stuttgart: Konrad Theiss Verlag. p. 57. ISBN 3-8062-1917-6.
- Dagmar Söder, Landesamt für Denkmalpflege Hessen, ed. (1987). Denkmaltopographie Bundesrepublik Deutschland, Kulturdenkmäler in Hessen, Kreis Offenbach (in German). Braunschweig/Wiesbaden: Friedr. Vieweg & Sohn. ISBN 3-528-06237-1.