Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji
Colonel Maharaja Raol Sir Shri Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji KCSI (19 May 1912 – 2 April 1965) was an Indian king and politician, the last Maharaja of the Gohil dynasty, who ruled Bhavnagar State from 1919 to 1948 and also served as the first Indian Governor of Madras from 1948 to 1952,After handover Rule of Bhavnagar State to Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel as part of Indian Union, and Bhavnagar is first state which joined Indian Union.
|Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji|
|Colonel Maharaja Raol Sir Shri Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji|
|Reign||1919 to 1948|
|Successor||Virbhadrasinhji Krishna Kumarsinhji|
|Born||19 May 1912|
|Died||2 April 1965(aged 52)|
|Spouse||Maharani Vijayabakunverba Sahiba|
|Governor of Madras|
7 September 1948 – 12 March 1952
|Preceded by||Archibald Nye|
|Succeeded by||Sri Prakasa|
Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji was born in Bhavnagar on 19 May 1912, the eldest son and heir of Maharaja Bhavsinhji II of Bhavnagar (1875–1919, r. 1896–1919). Kumarsinhji succeeded his father upon his death in 1919; only seven years old, he ascended the Bhavnagar throne under a regency until 1931. He was educated at Rajkumar College, Rajkot like his father and grandfather who was the first student in 1870.
Kumarsinhji continued the progressive reforms of his father and grandfather, reforming the method of tax-collection in his state, introducing village councils and Bhavnagar's first legislature, the Dharasabha. Owing to his progressive reign, Kumarsinhji was knighted with the KCSI in 1938; however, he remained quietly committed to the cause of Indian independence. Therefore, upon Independence in 1947, Kumarsinhji became among the first of the Indian monarchs to accede to the Dominion of India in 1947. He merged Bhavnagar into the state of Kathiawad in 1948.
Maharaja Shri Bhavsinhji Polytechnic Institute was established by him in commemoration of his father Late Sir Bhavsinhji II in 1932, which commenced functioning in 1949.
In 1931, Kumarsinhji married Maharani Shri Vijayabakunverba Sahiba (19 June 1910 – 6 October 1990), the daughter of Maharaja Bhojirajsinhji of Gondal and granddaughter of Maharaja Bhagvatsinh of Gondal. The couple had two sons and three daughters:
- Maharaja Shri Virbhadrasinhji Krishna Kumarsinhji (14 March 1932 – 26 July 1994) who succeeded as Maharaja of Bhavnagar. Now his son Vijayrajsinhji Gohil as Maharaja Of Bhavnagar (29 April 1968)
- Maharajkumar Shivbhadrasinhji Krishna Kumarsinhji (23 December 1933–)
- Maharajkumari Maharaj Kumari Ba Shri Hansa Kunverba Sahiba (25 July 1941–) (now Rajmata Shiba of Ajaygarh)
- Maharajkumari Ba Shri Dilhar Kunverba Sahiba (19 November 1942–) (now Maharani Sahiba of Panna)
- Maharajkumari Ba Shri Rohini Devi Sahiba (8 October 1945) (now Kuvrani Sahiba of Kutch)
In 1948, he worked as acting Rajpramukh of United State of Kathiawar for a brief period. Later, in 1948, Kumarsinhji became the first Indian Governor of Madras, serving until 1952. Also, in that year Kumarsinhji was made an honorary Commodore in the Royal Indian Navy. From 1948 until 1952, Kumarsinhji also served as the President of the Shree Nandkunverba Kshatriya Kanya Vidhyalaya and as Vice-Patron of the United Service Institution of India. Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji died at Bhavnagar on 2 April 1965, aged 52 after a reign of 46 years . He was succeeded as Maharaja of Bhavnagar by his eldest son, Virbhadrasinhji Krishna Kumarsinhji.
- 1912-1919: Maharajkumar Shri Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib Gohil, Yuvraj Sahib of Bhavnagar
- 1919-1937: His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar
- 1937-1938: Lieutenant His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar
- 1938-1943: Lieutenant His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar, KCSI
- 1943-1945: Captain His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar, KCSI
- 1945-1946: Lieutenant-Colonel His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar, KCSI
- 1946-1948: Colonel His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar, KCSI
- 1948-1965: Commodore His Highness Maharaja Raol Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Sahib, Maharaja of Bhavnagar, KCSI
- 1948-1952: Commodore His Excellency Shri Sir Krishna Kumarsinhji Bhavsinhji Gohil, Governor of Madras State, KCSI
(ribbon bar, as it would look today)
Decorations and medalsEdit
- King George V Silver Jubilee Medal-1935
- King George VI Coronation Medal-1937
- Knight Commander of the Order of the Star of India (KCSI)-1938
- War Medal 1939-1945-1945
- Defence Medal-1945
- India Service Medal - 1945
- Indian Independence Medal-1947
Hon. military ranksEdit
Krishna Kumarsinhji BhavsinhjiBorn: 19 May 1912 Died: 2 April 1965
| Maharaja of Bhavnagar
(Merge within the Dominion of India)
|Titles in pretence|
|— TITULAR —
Maharaja of Bhavnagar
- Governors of Tamil Nadu since 1946, (Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly, 15 September 2008)
- Sir Bhavsinhji Polytechnic Institute - History Archived 27 July 2013 at the Wayback Machine
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Army Branch)". The Gazette of India. 27 January 1951. p. 20.
- "Part I-Section 4: Ministry of Defence (Navy Branch)". The Gazette of India. 27 January 1951. p. 21.