The Just Group owns and operates a total of seven retail brands: Just Jeans (Australian clothing chain store), Jay Jays, Jacqui E, Portmans, Dotti, Peter Alexander, and Smiggle. The group has over 950 stores throughout Australia, New Zealand, Singapore and the United Kingdom.
|The Kimberly Family|
Number of employees
The brand Just Jeans was founded in 1970 by the Kimberly family. The first store opened on Chapel Street, Prahran. The idea of selling jeans stacked on shelves was new to the market, but proved to be popular.
On 8 August 2008, Premier Investments obtained a controlling interest in the shares of Just Group Limited following an off-market takeover offer for all of the group shares that commenced on 31 March 2008. Just Group Limited was removed from the official ASX list on 22 September 2008 and became a non listed public company.
In 2011, the group was nailed by the media for using sandblasting to wash off their jeans, a method known to cause silicosis. In 2013, the group was still using sandblasting. The Baptist World Aid’s 2015 Fashion Report named the Just Group one of the worst performers when it comes to protecting international workers. From 2012 to 2015, the group went through its digital retail transformation.
In October 2016, the Just Group lost its trial against its former CFO Nicole Peck who had left the company to work for a competing company. In August 2017, the brand director of the group, Colette Garnsey, stepped down for medical reasons.
- Ham, Larissa (1 October 2012). "Just keep changing: life lessons from a jean genie". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Just Group Limited (JST) Delisted from ASX 22/09/2008". Delisted Australia. Retrieved 4 December 2016.
- "Worker deaths linked to sandblasted jeans". www.abc.net.au. 8 September 2011. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Call for ban on jeans sandblasting". SBS News. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Fashion gets a fail on workers' rights". NewsComAu. 16 April 2015. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Just Group CIO pushes IT to perform at retail pace". iTnews. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- Williams (CMO), Azadeh; 27 October, 2015 08:07. "Behind the scenes of Just Group's digital transformation journey". www.cmo.com.au. Retrieved 6 June 2019.CS1 maint: numeric names: authors list (link)
- Danckert, Sarah (17 October 2016). "Solomon Lew's Just Group loses case against former chief financial officer Nicole Peck". The Sydney Morning Herald. Retrieved 6 June 2019.
- "Just Group director steps down". Inside Retail. 10 August 2017. Retrieved 6 June 2019.