Judith Ellen Levy
Judith Ellen Levy (born 1958) is an American lawyer who serves as a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan.
Judith Ellen Levy
|Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan|
|Assumed office |
March 14, 2014
|Appointed by||Barack Obama|
|Preceded by||Nancy Garlock Edmunds|
|Born||1958 (age 60–61)|
|Residence||Ann Arbor, Michigan|
|Education||University of Michigan (B.S.)|
University of Michigan Law School (J.D.)
Levy was born in 1958 in Bloomington, Indiana. She received a Bachelor of Science degree in 1981 from the University of Michigan. She received a Juris Doctor, cum laude, in 1996 from the University of Michigan Law School.
Levy is openly gay and has three daughters.
Prior to her attendance at law school, Levy worked at the University of Michigan Hospital and served as the bargaining chairperson for Local 1583 of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees for six years. From 1996 to 1999, she worked as a law clerk to Judge Bernard A. Friedman of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan. From 1999 to 2000, she was a trial attorney for the United States Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. From 2000 to 2014, Levy served as an Assistant United States Attorney in the Eastern District of Michigan, and was Chief of the Civil Rights Unit in 2010–2014.
On July 25, 2013, President Barack Obama nominated Levy to serve as a federal judge on the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, to the seat vacated by Judge Nancy Garlock Edmunds, who took senior status on August 1, 2012. On January 16, 2014, her nomination was reported out of committee. A cloture vote on her nomination was held March 11, 2014, and passed by 56–42. On Wednesday, March 12, 2014, the full U.S. Senate voted 97–0 for final confirmation. She received her judicial commission on March 14, 2014.
- "Senate Judiciary Committee Nomination Questionnaire" (PDF). Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Openly Gay Attorney One of Six Nominated to District Court Today, Human Rights Campaign blog". Hrc.org. 2013-07-26. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- Proceedings of the Board of Regents (1992-1993) Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Board of Regents
- "President Obama Nominates Six to Serve on the United States District Court". whitehouse.gov. 2013-07-25. Retrieved 2013-12-05.
- "Levy, Judith Ellen – Federal Judicial Center". www.fjc.gov.
- "Executive Business Meeting". United States Senate. Committee on the Judiciary. Retrieved 16 January 2014.
- "U.S. Senate: U.S. Senate Roll Call Votes 113th Congress – 2nd Session". www.senate.gov.
- Judith Ellen Levy at the Biographical Directory of Federal Judges, a public domain publication of the Federal Judicial Center.
- Judith Ellen Levy at Ballotpedia
Nancy Garlock Edmunds
| Judge of the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan