José Fernández (catcher)
(Redirected from José María Fernández)
José María Tranquilino Fernández Marín Sr. (June 6, 1896 – July 20, 1972) was a Cuban baseball catcher and manager in the Negro leagues from the 1910s to the 1940s.
|Catcher / First baseman|
|Born: June 6, 1896|
|Died: July 20, 1972 (aged 76)|
|Negro league baseball debut|
|1916, for the Cuban Stars (East)|
|1946, for the New York Black Yankees|
|Career highlights and awards|
A native of Guanabacoa, Cuba, Fernández was the brother of fellow Negro leaguer Rudy Fernández. He managed the New York Cubans for 12 consecutive seasons from 1939 to 1950. Fernández died in Guanabacoa in 1972 at age 76.
- ^ "José María Fernández". seamheads.com. Retrieved August 4, 2020.
- ^ "All Time Negro League Managers" (PDF). cnlbr.org. Retrieved October 12, 2020.
- Career statistics and player information from Baseball Reference and Baseball-Reference Black Baseball stats and Seamheads
- José Fernández managerial career statistics at Baseball-Reference.com and Seamheads
- José Fernandez at Negro League Baseball Museum