John Carmichael (politician)
John Carmichael (born February 14, 1952) is a former Canadian politician. He was a Conservative member of the House of Commons of Canada from 2011 to 2015 who represented the Toronto riding of Don Valley West.
|Member of the Canadian Parliament|
for Don Valley West
May 2, 2011 – October 19, 2015
|Preceded by||Rob Oliphant|
|Succeeded by||Rob Oliphant|
|Born||February 14, 1952|
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
|Children||3 including Christin|
|Residence||Toronto, Ontario, Canada|
Carmichael was born in Toronto. He owned and operated City Buick Pontiac Cadillac GMC Ltd. He and his wife Kerry raised three children. His daughter Christin Carmichael Greb was a Toronto City Councillor, serving till October 2018. She was defeated by former MPP Mike Colle.
Carmichael ran as the Conservative party candidate in the riding of Don Valley West in 2006 and 2008 federal elections, losing both times to Liberals John Godfrey and Rob Oliphant. In the 2011 election, he defeated incumbent Oliphant by 611 votes. He served as a backbench member of the Stephen Harper government.
In 2011, he sponsored a private member's bill called National Flag of Canada Act that provided protections for anyone who wants to fly the flag of Canada. The new law makes it illegal for anyone to prevent someone else from flying the flag. Penalties range from fines to up to two years in jail. Critics called the bill an excuse to enshrine patriotism in law.
In 2015, he was defeated by Oliphant in a rematch of the 2011 election.
|2015 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Syeda Riaz||3,076||6.02||-4.73||–|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||51,086||100.0||-4.48||$202,821.40|
|Total rejected ballots||217||0.4||+0.07|
|Source: Elections Canada|
|2011 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||Nicole Yovanoff||6,280||11.74||+1.55||–|
|Total valid votes||53,482||100.00||–|
|Total rejected ballots||176||0.33||–|
|2008 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||David Sparrow||5,102||10.19||+1.1||$67,984|
|Total valid votes/Expense limit||50,072||100.00||$85,470|
|Total rejected ballots||–|
|2006 Canadian federal election|
|New Democratic||David Thomas||4,902||9.1||+0.5|
|Canadian Action||Paul Barnes||151||0.3|
|Total valid votes||53,802||100.0|
- "Election results...riding by riding". The Globe and Mail. January 24, 2006. p. A16.
- "Greater Toronto Area Results". The Toronto Star. October 15, 2008. p. U2.
- "Riding results from across Canada". Edmonton Journal. May 3, 2011. p. A6.
- Taber, Jane (28 September 2011). "MP's bid to protect flag adds another notch to Harper's patriotic belt". The Globe and Mail. Retrieved 28 September 2011.
- Taber, Jane (October 6, 2011). "Tory MP wraps himself in flag, but forgets to fly one at home". The Globe and Mail. p. A4.
- "Canada Votes". The Toronto Star. October 20, 2015. pp. GT13–GT15.
- Elections Canada – Confirmed candidates for Don Valley West, 30 September 2015
- Elections Canada – Preliminary Election Expenses Limits for Candidates Archived 2015-08-15 at the Wayback Machine