James Rickards(Redirected from Jim Rickards)
James G. Rickards is an American lawyer, speaker, gold speculator, media commentator, author on matters of finance and precious metals expert. He is the author of Currency Wars: The Making of the Next Global Crisis (2011) and three other books.
Rickards graduated from Lower Cape May Regional High School in Cape May, New Jersey, in 1969. He graduated from Johns Hopkins University in 1973 with a B.A. degree with honors and in 1974, from the Paul H. Nitze School of Advanced International Studies in Washington, D.C. with an M.A. in international economics. He received his Juris Doctor from the University of Pennsylvania Law School and an LL.M in taxation from New York University School of Law.
As general counsel for the hedge fund Long-Term Capital Management (LTCM), Rickards worked on Wall Street for 35 years. Rickards was the senior managing director for market intelligence at Omnis, Inc., a consulting firm. On March 24, 2009, Rickards presented his view at a symposium at Johns Hopkins, that the U.S. dollar was facing imminent hyperinflation and was vulnerable to attack from foreign governments through the accumulation of gold and the establishment of a new global currency.
Rickards's first book, Currency Wars, was published in 2011. In it, he argued that currency wars are not just an economic or monetary concern but a national security concern. He maintained that the United States faced serious threats to its national security, from clandestine gold purchases by China to the hidden agendas of sovereign wealth funds, and that greater than any single threat was the very real danger of the collapse of the dollar itself. Rickards charged that the Federal Reserve was involved in what he called "the greatest gamble in the history of finance." The Fed's easing of financial conditions through lowering long-term interest rates was, he wrote, "essentially a program of printing money to spur growth."
Rickards subsequently authored another three books:
- The Death of Money (2014)
- The New Case for Gold (2016)
- The Road to Ruin: The Global Elites' Secret Plan for the Next Financial Crisis (2016)
- Selected articles
- James G. Rickards, "A Mountain, Overlooked" The Washington Post (October 2, 2008). Retrieved May 16, 2011
- Charles Duelfer and Jim Rickards, "Financial Time Bombs" The New York Times (December 20, 2008). Retrieved May 16, 2011
- James Rickards, "How markets attacked the Greek piñata" The Financial Times (February 11, 2010). Retrieved May 16, 2011 (registration required)
- "Gold price could smash $10,000 on crashing dollar & other factors – Jim Rickards". RT. 29 January 2018. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Jim Rickards Gold Speculator with Byron King". stocknewsletterreviews.com. Stock newsletters. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- Alumni members Caper 10 Alumni Association. Retrieved May 15, 2011
- "James G. Rickards, Senior Managing Director for Market Intelligence" Archived 2010-01-06 at the Wayback Machine Omnis, Inc. Retrieved May 13, 2011
- Bei Hu, "China Is in Midst of 'Greatest Bubble in History,' ex-LTCM's Rickards Says" Bloomberg (March 17, 2010). Retrieved May 14, 2011
- Kathryn M. Welling, "Threat Finance: Capital Markets Risk Complex and Supercritical, Says Jim Rickards" (PDF) welling@weeden (February 25, 2010). Retrieved May 13, 2011
- "Omnis's Rickards Interview March 24 on Middle East Unrest" Bloomberg News (March 24, 2011). Retrieved May 13, 2011
- "A sneak attack on the U.S. dollar?" Politico (April 1, 2009).
- "Testimony of James G. Rickards, Senior Managing Director for Market Intelligence, Omnis, Inc., McLean, VA" (PDF) U.S. House Committee on Science, Space and Technology (September 10, 2009). Retrieved May 16, 2011