Jennifer Golbeck is a computer scientist. She currently is a professor at the College of Information Studies, an affiliate professor in the Computer Science Department, and an affiliate professor in the Journalism Department, all at the University of Maryland, College Park. Golbeck was director of the University of Maryland Human–Computer Interaction Lab from 2011 to 2014.
|Institutions||University of Maryland, College Park|
University of Chicago
|Doctoral advisor||James Hendler|
Jennifer Golbeck completed her Doctor of Philosophy in computer science from the University of Maryland, College Park. She also earned an SM and SB in Computer Science and an AB in Economics from the University of Chicago.
Jennifer Golbeck is known for her work on computational social network analysis. She developed methods for inferring information about relationships and people in social networks. Her models for computing trust between people in social networks are among the first in the field. Social trust was for used in early research on trust-based recommender systems. She was a program co-chair of ACM RecSys 2015.
Golbeck has received attention for her work on computing personality traits and political preferences of individuals based on their social network profiles. Her presentation at TEDxMidatlantic, discussing the need for new methods of educating users about how to protect their personal data, was selected as one of TED's 2014 Year in Ideas talks. She presented at TEDxGeorgetown, about pets on the internet.
Media and publications edit
- The Purest Bond with Stacey Colino Simon & Schuster 2023 ISBN 9781668007846
- Online Harassment (ed.) Springer (2018) ISBN 9783319785837
- Social Media Investigation Singress (2015) ISBN 0-12-801656-6
- Analyzing the Social Web Morgan Kaufmann (2013) ISBN 0-12-405531-1
- Computing with Social Trust (ed.) Springer (2008) ISBN 1-848-00355-2
- Trust on the World Wide Web: A Survey Now Publishers (2008) ISBN 1-601-98116-3
- Art Theory for Web Design Addison-Wesley (2005) ISBN 1-57-676142-8
Personal life edit
Social media edit
Golbeck is also a prominent social media figure on Twitter, Instagram, and Snapchat. Her account, The Golden Ratio, which features images and videos of her golden retrievers, has over 152,000 followers. Golbeck's current dogs are Venkman, Guacamole, Chief Brody, Remoulade, and Feta. Other members of “the squad” who were owned by Golbeck and featured prominently on The Golden Ratio accounts who have since passed away include: Maggie, Jasmine, Riley, Queso, Swizzle, Saint Patrick, Parmesan, Voodoo, Manchego, and Hopper. Also featured on the account are dogs Golbeck fosters along with her adopted dogs. Golbeck also manages various other social media accounts, such as jen runs with dogs, which highlights her experiences as an ultramarathon runner. Podcasts produced by Golbeck include The Golden Ratio Podcast, Murders in Paradise, and Runs With Dogs.
-  "Jennifer Golbeck | Maryland's iSchool - College of Information Studies"
-  Jennifer Golbeck | CS"
- Bederson, Benjamin B. "HCIL - Overview". www.cs.umd.edu. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
-  "Jennifer Golbeck CV"
-  "Using Social Trust for Recommender Systems", ACM Conference on Recommender Systems, 2009
- PROGRAM CO-CHAIRS of ACM RecSys 2015
-  "Facebook profiles reveal personality traits to researchers", Washington Post, July 18, 2011
- Golbeck, Jennifer; Hansen, Derek (2013). "A Method for Computing Political Preference Among Twitter Followers". Social Networks.
- Jennifer Golbeck: The curly fry conundrum: Why social media 'likes' say more than you might think
- TED 2014 Year in Ideas
-  TEDxGeorgetown - Jennifer Golbeck - The Internet and Pets
-  "Jennifer Golbeck - Slate Authors"
- "Search for "golbeck" - The Kojo Nnamdi Show". The Kojo Nnamdi Show. Retrieved 25 March 2017.
- "Golden Ratio - Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 8 June 2022.
- "The Foster Goldens". Twitter. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "jen runs with dogs (@jenrunswithdogs) | Twitter". twitter.com. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "The Golden Ratio Podcast on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "Murders in Paradise on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 2020-04-21.
- "Runs With Dogs on Apple Podcasts". Apple Podcasts. Retrieved 2020-04-21.