James Anderson (American football)
James Nathaniel Anderson (born September 26, 1983) is a former American football linebacker. He played college football at Virginia Tech and was drafted in the third round (88th overall) of the 2006 NFL Draft by the Carolina Panthers.
Anderson with Panthers in 2006
|No. 50, 58, 97, 57, 42|
|Born:||September 26, 1983|
Roanoke Rapids, North Carolina
|Height:||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|Weight:||235 lb (107 kg)|
|High school:||Chesapeake (VA) Deep Creek|
|NFL Draft:||2006 / Round: 3 / Pick: 88|
|* Offseason and/or practice squad member only|
|Career NFL statistics|
|Player stats at PFR|
Anderson redshirted in 2001 at Virginia Tech, performing on the scout team. He played in every game in 2002, earning three starts and posting 47 tackles (28 solos) with a half sack, three stops for losses and a forced fumble. He spent the bulk of the 2003 season playing on special teams, as only four of his 41 tackles (29 solos) came during defensive action.
Anderson started 12 games at weak-side linebacker in 2004, performing in 117 special teams and 368 defensive snaps. He ranked seventh on the squad with 48 tackles (21 solos) and had 2.5 sacks with 6.5 stops behind the line of scrimmage. He also recovered two fumbles and intercepted a pass.
He started every game as a senior, ranking second on the Tech team with a career-high 82 tackles (41 solos). Anderson registered three sacks and tied for third on the team with 8.5 stops for losses. He caused and recovered a fumble, batted away three passes and had two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown.
In 53 games with the Hokies, Anderson started 28 times. He collected 218 tackles (119 solos) with seven sacks for minus-26 yards and 18 stops for losses of 75 yards. He was credited with six quarterback pressures, three fumble recoveries and two forced fumbles. Anderson also gained 53 yards with a touchdown on three interception returns and deflected five passes.
|Ht||Wt||40-yard dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert jump||Broad|
|6 ft 2 in
|4.64 s||1.56 s||2.67 s||4.07 s||6.67 s||41 in
|10 ft 1 in|
|All values from NFL Combine|
In his debut season, he appeared in 16 games and recorded 25 tackles. He made his first career start at the Cincinnati Bengals on October 22. In the 2007 season, he played in ten games and recorded 11 tackles.
In 2011, Anderson was re-signed by the Panthers with a 5-year deal worth 22 million dollars and 8.5 million guaranteed. In 2012 against the New York Giants, Anderson recorded a franchise record 20 tackles in a single game. He was later released in March 2013 to save salary cap room. Anderson ended his tenure with 94 appearances, the most by a linebacker in Panthers history at the time of his release.
On March 24, 2013, Anderson signed a contract with the Chicago Bears, and wore number 50, becoming the first Bears player to wear the number since Mike Singletary retired in 1992. Anderson ended the 2013 season leading the Bears in tackles with 129.5, along with recording 42 assisted tackles and 7.5 tackles for loss.
New England PatriotsEdit
Signed with the Atlanta Falcons on November 20, 2014. He was released on December 24, 2014.
New Orleans SaintsEdit
|Year||Team||GP||COMB||TOTAL||AST||SACK||FF||FR||FR YDS||INT||IR YDS||AVG IR||LNG||TD||PD|
- GP: games played
- COMB: combined tackles
- TOTAL: total tackles
- AST: assisted tackles
- SACK: sacks
- FF: forced fumbles
- FR: fumble recoveries
- FR YDS: fumble return yards
- INT: interceptions
- IR YDS: interception return yards
- AVG IR: average interception return
- LNG: longest interception return
- TD: interceptions returned for touchdown
- PD: passes defensed
- "James Anderson, DS #13 OLB, Virginia Tech". draftscout.com. Retrieved August 16, 2018.
- Sessler, Marc (March 24, 2013). "James Anderson, Chicago Bears agree to contract". National Football League. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- "Bears add LB James Anderson". ESPN. March 24, 2013. Retrieved March 24, 2013.
- Mayer, Larry (April 9, 2013). "Singletary OK with Anderson wearing old number". Chicago Bears. Retrieved April 9, 2013.
- "Patriots sign veteran LB James Anderson and release WR Mark Harrison". Patriots.com. June 4, 2014.
- Patriots reportedly release Tommy Kelly, Will Smith
- Wilkening, Mike. "Titans place LB Zach Brown on IR, agree with LB James Anderson". Pro Football Talk. Retrieved September 16, 2014.
- Sabin, Rainer. "Henry Melton placed on IR, Cowboys fill spot with LB James Anderson". cowboysblog.dallasnews.com. The Dallas Morning News Inc. Retrieved December 31, 2014.
- Woodbery, Evan. "LB James Anderson joins New Orleans Saints, team he's faced 13 times on other side". nola.com/saints. The Times-Picayune. Retrieved December 10, 2015.
- "James Anderson Stats". ESPN. ESPN Internet Ventures. Retrieved February 6, 2015.