Indonesian National Board for Disaster Management
The National Agency for Disaster Countermeasure (Indonesian: Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana; officially National Disaster Management Authority), abbreviated as BNPB, is the Indonesian board for natural disaster affairs. It was established in 2008 to replace the National Disaster Management Coordinating Board (Badan Koordinasi Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana or Bakornas PB). BNPB is directly responsible to the President of Indonesia and the chairman is directly appointed by the President.
|Badan Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana|
|Formed||26 January 2008|
|Annual budget||Rp 1.47 trillion (2016)|
On 20 August 1945, the Indonesian government established the Agency for Assisting Families of War Victims (Badan Penolong Keluarga Korban Perang; abbreviated as BPKKP) and its focus was to assist the war victims and their respective families during the Indonesian National Revolution.
In 1966, the government established the Advisory Board of Central Natural Disaster Management (Badan Pertimbangan Penanggulangan Bencana Alam Pusat; abbreviated as BP2BA) through the Presidential Decree Number 256 of 1966. The board was responsible to the Minister of Social Affairs. A year later, the Cabinet Presidium through Decree number 14/U/KEP/I/1967, established the National Coordination Team for Disaster Management (Tim Koordinasi Nasional Penanggulangan Bencana Alam; abbreviated as TKP2BA).
Bakornas PB was established in 1979 to replace the Advisory Board for Natural Disasters, which was established in 1966. The organization in form of the current BNPB was established in 2008, in accordance to Presidential Decree 8 of 2008.
Duties and functionsEdit
- Provide guidance and direction on disaster management effort that includes disaster prevention, emergency response, rehabilitation, and reconstruction in a fair and equitable
- Assigning the standardization and implementation of disaster management needs based on laws and regulations
- Delivering information to community disaster management humans
- Disaster management reporting to the President once a month in normal conditions and at all times in a state of emergency
- Use and account for donations / support national and international
- Account for the use of funds received from the State humans
- Carry out other obligations in accordance with laws and et human
- Develop guidelines for the establishment of the Regional Disaster Management Agency
Formulation and establishment of disaster management policies and handling of refugees to act quickly and appropriately and effectively and efficiently; and Coordinating implementation of disaster management activities in a planned, integrated, and comprehensive.
Amongst other things, the Board issues regular information about the status of alerts for selected Indonesian volcanoes. In issuing these information bulletins, the Board draws on the advice of the Centre of Vulcanology and Geological Hazard Mitigation (often known as PVMBG from the Indonesian name for the Centre, Pusat Vulkanology dan Mitigasi Bencana Geologi). These bulletins are intended to warn local residents of likely threats and also help in planning for emergency response activities. The alerts are also useful for visitors who may be planning trips to these sites. As of September 2011, five volcanoes were included on the Level III "Alert" (Indonesian: Siaga) list and 12 were on the Level II "Vigilant" (Indonesian: Waspada) list
The Board has noted that financial support for disaster responses in Indonesia remains relatively limited. A spokesperson for the board observed that a sum of only Rp 4 trillion (around $US 470 million) had been allocated to support disaster relief in Indonesia during 2011.
- Taylor, Gloria Safira (9 June 2016). "Anggaran Dipangkas Rp133 Miliar, BNPB Cukup-cukupkan Dana". CNN Indonesia (in Indonesian). Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- "Dilantik Besok, Letjen Doni Monardo akan Jadi Kepala BNPB yang Baru". detik.com (in Indonesian). 1 January 2019. Retrieved 7 January 2020.
- "PERATURAN PRESIDEN REPUBLIK INDONESIA NOMOR 8 TAHUN 2008" (PDF). Government of Indonesia. Retrieved 29 November 2017.
- Valenta, Elisa (21 January 2019). "Jokowi angkat kedudukan Kepala BNPB setingkat menteri". beritagar.id (in Indonesian). Retrieved 25 January 2019.
- "National Disaster Management Authority". 26 October 2016. Retrieved 26 October 2016. This article incorporates text from this source, which is in the public domain.
- The list may be consulted at the Indonesian-language website of the National Board for Disaster Mitigation.
- 'RI needs 'more' disaster funds', The Jakarta Post, 23 July 2011