Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust
|Homerton University Hospital NHS Foundation Trust|
|Type||NHS foundation trust|
|Hospitals||Homerton University Hospital|
|Chair||Tim Melville-Ross CBE|
|Chief executive||Tracey Fletcher|
|Number of employees||4,070|
The Foundation Trust was established on 1 April 2004 and was one among the first ten foundation trusts established in England. It was the designated hospital for the 2012 Summer Olympic and Paralympic Games.
It was named by the Health Service Journal as one of the top hundred NHS trusts to work for in 2015. At that time it had 3330 full-time equivalent staff and a sickness absence rate of 3.09%. 78% of staff recommend it as a place for treatment and 75% recommended it as a place to work.
Five maternal deaths occurred at Homerton between 2013 and 2015. Two unannounced inspections by the Care Quality Commission and an investigation by the Clinical Senate concluded that were staff were slow at recognising patients were deteriorating, and there had been breakdowns in communication. The Commission inspected maternity services at the hospital again in March 2015 and said they were "inadequate" for safety and "requires improvement" overall. None of the midwives they spoke to were aware of the deaths.
In April 2014 and again in February 2016 the CQC rated the A&E department as 'outstanding', the first emergency department to receive this rating.
It spent 8.9% of its total turnover on agency staff in 2014/5.
- "Homerton University Hospital at the 2012 Summer Olympics". Archived from the original on 26 May 2010. Retrieved 8 October 2010.
- "HSJ reveals the best places to work in 2015". Health Service Journal. 7 July 2015. Retrieved 23 September 2015.
- "Failings uncovered at NHS hospital where four pregnant women died in just 12 months - with a fifth passing away earlier this year". Daily Mail. 27 March 2015. Retrieved 28 March 2015.
- "East London maternity service 'inadequate' for safety". Health Service Journal. 17 August 2015. Retrieved 7 October 2015.
- "Homerton University Hospital". www.cqc.org.uk. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- "Agency spending: the real picture". Health Service Journal. 26 November 2015. Retrieved 23 December 2015.