Home and Away (film)
Home and Away is a 1956 British second feature drama film directed by Vernon Sewell and starring Jack Warner and Kathleen Harrison. It depicts the life of an ordinary working-class man after he wins the football pools. The film reunited Warner and Harrison who had previously appeared together in the Huggetts series of films.
|Home and Away|
Original British Quad poster
|Directed by||Vernon Sewell|
|Produced by||George Maynard|
|Written by||Vernon Sewell (play adaptation)|
R. F. Delderfield (additional dialogue)
|Based on||the play Treble Trouble by Heather McIntyre|
|Starring||Jack Warner |
|Music by||Robert Sharples|
|Edited by||Peter Rolfe Johnson|
|Distributed by||Eros Films (UK)|
|5 September 1956 (UK)|
After years of doing the football pools every week George Knowles (Jack Warner) is stunned to find that all his score draws have come up and he's won the "Treble Chance" jackpot. As George and his family celebrate with an impromptu party, his son Johnnie (Bernard Fox) arrives home and drops a bombshell: the coupon belongs, not to George, but to Johnnie and his workmate Sid Jarvis (Harry Fowler). But when Sid's gold-digging and wanton mother (Valerie White) finds out about the windfall she decides to lock her son up in order to keep him away from his share of the fortune.
- George Knowles – Jack Warner
- Elsie – Kathleen Harrison
- Mary – Lana Morris
- Ted Groves – Charles Victor
- Margie – Thora Hird
- Mrs. Jarvis – Valerie White
- Syd - Harry Fowler
- Annie Knowles – Merrie Carroll
- Johnnie Knowles – Bernard Fox
- Aunt Jean – Margaret St Barbe West
- Al, Mary's Boyfriend – Ross Pendleton
- Uncle Tom – Leslie Henson
- Albert West – Sam Kydd
- Spicer, Andrew (3 October 2003). "Typical Men: The Representation of Masculinity in Popular British Cinema". I.B.Tauris – via Google Books.
- "Home and Away". 5 September 1956 – via IMDb.
- "BFI | Film & TV Database | HOME AND AWAY (1956)". Ftvdb.bfi.org.uk. 16 April 2009. Archived from the original on 14 January 2009. Retrieved 3 June 2014.
- "Home and Away - Film from RadioTimes".
- "Home And Away".
|This article related to a British film of the 1950s is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|