Hemchandra Barua(Redirected from Hem Chandra Barua)
Hemchandra Barua (Assamese: হেমচন্দ্ৰ বৰুৱা; Hêmsôndrô Bôruwa), also known as Hem Barua was a prominent writer, social reformer of Assamese of the 19th century. He hailed from Sibsagar District of Assam. His father was Muktaram Barua.
Sibsagar District, Assam
He was the compiler of the first exhaustive Assamese dictionary Hemkosh, where spellings based on Sanskrit were first introduced. It was the second dictionary of the Assamese language. It was published in 1900 after his death under the supervision of Capt. P. R. Gordon, ISC and Hemchandra Goswami.
Some of his other works are listed below:
- 'Ôxômiya Byakôrôn' (Assamese grammar) (অসমীয়া ব্যাকৰণ) (1859)
- 'Adipath' (আদিপাঠ) (1873)
- 'Pathmala' (পাঠ-মালা) (1882)
- 'Ôxômiya lôrar byakôrôn' (Grammar for Assamese children) (অসমীয়া ল’ৰাৰ ব্যাকৰণ) (1886). All the above four books were accepted as text books for schools and also awarded by the British Government.
- 'Pôrhaxôliya Ôbhidhan' (School Dictionary) (পঢ়াশলীয়া অভিধান) (1892)
- 'Bahirê rông sông, bhitôrê kûwabhaturi', (বাহিৰে ৰংচং ভিতৰে কোৱাভাতুৰী)
- 'Kaniyar Kirttôn' (কানীয়াৰ কীৰ্ত্তন) (1861)
- 'Xaxhyô rôkhya ba ga bhalê rakhibôr upay' (Way to health) (স্বাস্থ্য ৰক্ষা বা গা ভালে ৰাখিবৰ উপায়) (translated)
- 'Assamese Marriage System'
He was also an editor of Assam News published from Gauhati (1883-85).
- Sarma, Anjali (1990), Among the luminaries in Assam: a study of Assamese biography, Mittal Publications, p. 118, ISBN 978-81-7099-207-3
- "Hemchandra Barua - First Assamese Dictionary Hemkosh". Onlinesivasagar.com. Retrieved 2013-05-05.
- "RCILTS, IIT Guwahati". Iitg.ernet.in. Retrieved 2013-05-05.