This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)
VT Halter Marine, Inc. is a shipbuilding company and an American subsidiary of ST Engineering. It is located in Pascagoula, Mississippi. It specializes in ship design and construction and serves both public and private clients, including the United States Department of Defense.
|Type||Shipbuilding, defense contractor|
|Industry||Shipbuilding, arms industry|
|Parent||VT Systems (ST Engineering)|
Harold Halter and Jimmy Dubuisson started the original company known as Halter Marine in 1956 in New Orleans; their first built vessel was a 26-foot pleasure boat. The original company would grow to employ more than 4,000 people at its height, but the decline of the offshore oil industry led Halter to sell the company to Trinity Industries in 1983, where it became part of Trinity Marine Group. In September 1996, Trinity spun off several bluewater shipyard assets as a separate company using the name Halter Marine Group, Inc. Friede Goldman International bought Halter Marine Group in 1999. The company was sold again to ST Engineering (Singapore Technologies Engineering Ltd) in 2003, where it began operating under the name VT Halter Marine Inc. 
While working on an $87 million contract with the United States Navy to build a 350-foot ship in 2009, unsafe working conditions led to an explosion that killed two employees and injured five others. The company was fined $1.32 million by the United States Department of Labor for 17 willful and 11 serious violations, including willfully exposing workers to toxic fumes in a confined space. According to Secretary of Labor Hilda L. Solis, the explosion "was a horrific and preventable situation. [VT Halter Marine] was aware of the hazards and knowingly and willfully sent workers into a confined space with an explosive and toxic atmosphere."
- "Facilities". VT Halter Marine, Inc. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- "History - VT Halter Marine". VT Halter Marine, Inc. Retrieved 3 February 2020.
- Gollan, Jennifer (11 February 2017). "The Deadly Danger of Trump's Naval Buildup". POLITICO. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- VT Halter articles 2017-2020 from Reveal (podcast) by Center for Investigative Reporting. Retrieved 26 December 2020.
- Zeveloff, Julie. "VT Halter Fined $1.3M After Fatal Boat Explosion". Law360. LexisNexis. Retrieved 11 February 2017.
- LaGrone, Sam (24 April 2019). "VT Halter Marine to Build New Coast Guard Icebreaker". US Naval Institute News. Retrieved 25 April 2019.
- Kaur, Karamjit (25 April 2019). "ST Engineering lands $2.6 billion US Navy contract". The New Paper. Retrieved 25 April 2019.