H.O.R.S.E. is a multi-game form of poker commonly played at the high-stakes tables of casinos and in tournaments. It is most often played in a limit format, but can be played with other betting structures. The format consists of rounds of play cycling among:
HOSE drops razz from the game mix.
T.H.O.R.S.E.H.A. is another 8-Game Mix which includes more games than most other mixed poker games. PokerStars started offering this game in 2008. It consists of limit 2-7 Triple Draw, limit Texas hold 'em, limit Omaha Hi-Lo, limit Razz, limit Seven-card Stud, limit Seven card Stud Hi-Lo, no limit Texas hold 'em and pot limit Omaha.
World Series of Poker eventsEdit
A record-setting $50,000 buy-in H.O.R.S.E. tournament made its debut at the 2006 World Series of Poker. Chip Reese won the event, earning $1,716,000 for first place. After Reese died at the end of 2007, the Chip Reese Memorial Trophy was created in his honor. The trophy is awarded to the winner of the $50,000 championship event since the 2008 World Series of Poker.
The $50,000 buy-in tournament returned for the 2007 WSOP, along with seven satellite events with a $2,250 buy-in whose winners earned seats into the $50,000 buy-in event. The $50,000 event, which awarded $2,276,832 to first place, was won by professional player Freddy Deeb. Separate H.O.R.S.E. events with $2,500 and $5,000 buy-ins were also on the 2007 WSOP program.
The 2008 $50,000 H.O.R.S.E event was won by Scotty Nguyen, who received $1,989,120 for his victory. This was also the first time that the Chip Reese Memorial Trophy had been awarded to the winner of the competition.
For 2010, the $50,000 H.O.R.S.E. World Championship event was replaced by The Poker Player's Championship, with an identical buy-in. The 2010 WSOP also featured a new $10,000 H.O.R.S.E. Championship, joining already-existing events with $1,500 and $3,000 buy-ins.
- "Stop Spammers". www.poker1.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "H.O.R.S.E. Poker Strategy: In the Mix -- The Future of Mixed Games?". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "8-Game Mix Poker - Play Eight Game Mix Poker Games - PokerStars". www.pokerstars.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "Remembering Chip Reese - Poker News". www.cardplayer.com. Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- 2007 WSOP: Freddy Deeb H.O.R.S.E. champion, pokerlistings.com, 29 June 2007, accessed 16 March 2009
- Scotty Nguyen Wins $50K World Championship H.O.R.S.E., pokerplayernewspaper.com, 30 June 2008, accessed 16 March 2009
- "2009 WSOP: David Bach Wins $50K HORSE in Marathon Final". Retrieved 10 August 2017.
- "2010 WSOP Schedule Is Announced" (Press release). World Series of Poker. 2009-12-17. Retrieved 2009-12-31.