Prof. Mohamed Abdul Majeed Qubaty (Arabic: الدكتور محمد عبدالمجيد قباطي) FRCS, GONOC is Yemen's Minister of Tourism, Vice President of the Arab Tourism Organization and Vice President of the UN World Tourism Organization Commission for the Middle East after previously serving a term as Yemen's Minister of Information and Mass Media. He is a well-known political figurehead, who is famous for "practicing politics with a scalpel" due to being one of the most successful surgeons in the country as well as an influential orator. He is currently the Chairman of the Southern Civil Democratic Rally (MAGD-SCDR).
His Excellency Dr. Mohamed Qubaty
الدكتور محمد عبدالمجيد قباطي
|Alma mater||King's College London King's College, Cambridge|
|Occupation||Minister of Tourism & previously Minister of Information & Mass Media|
|Home town||Aden, Yemen|
|Office||Cabinet of Yemen|
|Political party||Southern Civil Democratic Rally (MAGD-SCDR)|
|Spouse(s)||Faten Mohamed Kaid Saif|
Alya QubatyShady Qubaty
|Awards||National Order of the Cedar|
He has held previous political positions such as the Senior Political Advisor of the previous three Yemeni Prime Ministers (2007-2011) and the Ambassador of Yemen to Lebanon and Cyprus (2003-2007).
There was a failed attempt to assassinate him on 11 September 2012, which targeted the minister's motorcade, next to the Council of Ministers in Sana'a, Yemen under the guise of a terrorist attack marking the 11th anniversary of the September 11 attacks. Dr. Qubaty was injured and the suicide bombing led to the death of eight bodyguards whilst injuring others.
In 1990 he married the daughter of General Mohamed Kaid Saif (Deputy Commander-in-Chief of Yemen and member of the Yemeni Revolutionary Command Council of 26 September 1962) and has three children.
- Yemen's Minister of Tourism
- Vice President of the Arab Tourism Organization.
- Vice President of the UN World Tourism Organization Commission for the Middle East.
- Member of Yemen's National Council, 2011.
- Founding Member, The Southern Civil Democratic Rally, (MAGD-SCDR), 2009.
- Professor, University of Sana'a, 1991.
- Founding Member and External Affairs Secretary, the Yemeni British Friendship Association, 1992.
- Primary and Secondary: Aden, Beirut and London (GCE "O" &"A" Levels).
- University: Graduate of King's College, University of London, 1975-1980. MB,BS, London, 1980. LRCP London, 1980.
- Postgraduate: MSc, King's College, Cambridge, 1983-4. MRCS, England, 1986. FRCS, Edinburgh, U.K, 1989. Ph.D, London, 1989.
Medals and prizesEdit
- Yemen's Minister of Information and Mass Media, 2015.
- Member of the National Dialogue Conference, 2013.
- Political Advisor to the Prime Minister with the rank of Minister, 2008-2011.
- Chairman of the Foreign Relations and International Cooperation Department of the Ruling General Peoples Congers Party (GPC), Yemen, 2009-2010.
- Member of the Supreme Media Committee of the Ruling (GPC), Party, 2009-2010.
- Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary of Yemen to Lebanon and Cyprus 2003-2007.
- Political Advisor to the Prime Minister with the rank of Minister, 2001-2003.
- Vice - Chairman of the Supreme Political Committee and Member of the Supreme Media Committee of the Ruling GPC Party, Yemen, 2001-2003.
- Member of the General Secretariat and Chairman of the Political and Foreign Relations Committee of the Ruling GPC Party, 2000-2003.
- Advisor to the Presidium of the Yemeni Parliament in the rank of Minister, 1996 – 2000.
- Member or the Permanent Committee and Secretary of the Supreme Political Committee and Member of the General Secretariat of the Ruling GPC Party, Yemen, 1996-2000.
- Advisor to the Services Committee of the Yemeni Parliament with the rank of Vice Minister, 1990-1996.
- Senior Lecturer, University of London, 1986-1990.
- Advisor to the Cabinet in the rank of Vice-Minister, Aden, Yemen, 1983-1984.
- Secretary of the Yemeni Diplomats Forum, Aden, Yemen, 1983-1984.
- President of the Union of Arab Students in U.K, 1980-1982.
- Secretary of the Yemen Socialist Party Organizations in Western Europe, 1978 – 1985.
- General Secretary of the University of London Students' Union, 1977-1979.
20 March 2014.
ADEN... AN ICON OF ALL TIME!
Aden! a love harp wrestling the heathens,
A passion as blood waddling in entities.
How many epochs turned out repulsions,
Still a sunburst transcending adversities.
Northwards time keeps on evolving,
Anticipation how we shall withstand.
As the West carried on transforming,
You set up enlightenment a homeland.
Southwards Hirak crushes prostration,
Sculpts the dream into entity and creed.
Magnificence ready for any oblation,
Seeks the prerogative word and deed.
Wishes in East and West perfected,
Dispersing beauty shining as pearls.
In skies and seas paradises erected,
Amassing precedence in splendours.
Remnants of times well resurrected,
Glamour dazzling planets in colours.
Fragrance in horizons sophisticated,
History chapters echoing measures.
As a Phoenix in determination,
Aden shall rise,
From under the ashes,
A motherland not to cease,
Engraving pride for heavens to please.
As tall as a mountain,
Aden in gory and dignity,
Sprinkling as a fountain,
The homeland to eternity.
Inevitable and decisive,
The style of Aden and order,
A promise of love to live,
Yemen to prosper for ever.
- Published and presented more than thirty scientific papers in medical conferences, symposia and journals in the UK, USA, and the Arab World.
- Published and presented more than forty papers in the fields of political sciences, educational sciences, economics, modern and contemporary Yemeni history, covering areas related to democratization, local government, party and parliamentary institutions, educational reform, the impact of ICT, privatization, Yemeni–European and Yemeni–American relations etc.
- Co-author of the book "Yemen and the World", Madbooli Publications, Cairo, 2001 .
- Main speaker at the Oxford University Symposium; the proceedings of which have been published in a book entitled "Citizenship and Democracy in the Arab Countries", Centre for Arab Unity studies, Beirut, 2001. 5- Co-author "Yemen and the Major International Powers", Published by the Information and Research Center of the Yemeni News Agency "Saba'a", Sana'a, 2003.