Gunupati Venkata Krishna Reddy
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Gunupati Venkata Krishna Reddy, also referred to as Dr GVK Reddy, is the Founder Chairman and Managing Director of GVK. a Hyderabad-based leading Infrastructure Conglomerate. GVK Reddy has reaffirmed the Indian mettle on a global arena. He set up India's first independent power plant in Andhra Pradesh, in 1997.
Gunupati Venkata Krishna Reddy
G. V. Krishna Reddy at Horasis Global India Business Meeting, 2010.
|Occupation||Founder Chairman & MD of GVK Group|
|Awards||Padma Bhushan (2010)|
GVK was also the first to develop a brown field airport in Public Private Partnership (PPP) model. In one of the most significant achievements, GVK's new iconic CSIA Terminal 2 was inaugurated at the hands of Hon’ble Prime Minister Dr. Manmohan Singh. The new T2 is home to India's largest public art programme (Jaya He), in the form of a 3 km multi-story Art Wall, illuminated by skylights, that has over 7050 pieces of artwork & artefacts from Maharashtra and also every region & corner of India. In yet another major achievement, GVK's Bengaluru International Airport has been renamed as Kempegowda International Airport, Bengaluru and a new terminal was inaugurated. With these two major airports being operational, GVK is set to expand in airport business both in India and abroad.
Early life and careerEdit
He was born on 22 March 1937 in Kothur village of Nellore district, Andhra Pradesh. He did his basic schooling from Kothur, early college from Nellore and graduated from Hyderabad. He later pursued Owner/President Management (OPM) Program from Harvard Business School, USA. GVK Reddy has been bestowed with the honorary title, "Doctor of Philosophy" by the renowned Jawaharlal Nehru Technological University, India.
Reddy is also a sports enthusiast and has been consistently encouraging and nurturing budding young sporting talent. Dr. Reddy has set up a tennis academy for youth in Hyderabad.
Reddy entered into the business starting with the construction of Nagarjuna Sagar Right Canal. Nagarjuna Sagar Dam, the world's largest masonry stone dam at the time of its construction, was built across the river Krishna in Nagarjuna Sagar.
Reddy acquired majority shareholding in Hotel Banjara, a four star hotel and became the managing director and completed the project by 1976–77. Collaboration with Holiday Inn marked his entry into the hospitality business. He also incorporated Novopan India Limited, being the first company in India to bring the Pre-laminated Particle Board Technology to manufacture Plain and Melamine Faced Particle Boards.
Awards and recognitionEdit
- Awarded Padma Bhushan - the third highest civilian award of India in 2011.
- "Construction World — Man of the year 2011" award by Construction World.
- "Best First Generation Entrepreneur of the Year 2010" award under the India Business Leaders Awards instituted by CNBC-TV 18.
- Conferred "Entrepreneur of the Year Award 2009" from Economic Times.
- Under his leadership, GVK won the "Most Promising Infrastructure Company of the year 2009"award by KPMG.
- Excellence Award at the International Telugu Cultural Conference held at the Golden Jubilee celebrations of the Telugu Association of Malaysia.
- Felicitated by The Telugu Literary and Cultural Association, US.
- Conferred Life Membership of the World Telugu Federation, Chennai.
- "GVK Reddy: many firsts to his credit". The Hindu. 26 January 2011. Retrieved 19 May 2012.
- Amirapu, Sai Deepika (1 December 2008). "GVK Power's hydro project to go on stream before schedule". The Economic Times. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Hema Ramakrishnan, Deepika Amirapu (29 December 2009). "GV Krishna Reddy entrepreneur of the year". The Economic Times. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Doctor of Philosophy http://www.gvk.com/aboutus/boardofdirectors.aspx
- GVK AISTA http://www.aistatennis.com/
- "Nagarjunasagar". Tourism. Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation. Archived from the original on 24 January 2007. Retrieved 16 July 2013.CS1 maint: unfit url (link)
- "GVK Novopan Industries Limited :: Sr.Management Team ::GVK Novopan Industries Limited :: MKTG Network". Particle Boards Manufacturing. Novopan. Retrieved 17 July 2013.
- Press Information Bureau
- "The 9th Construction World Annual Awards 2011 November 2011". Construction. Construction World. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "Dr. GV Krishna Reddy – India's Greatest Tennis Philanthropist". News. Tennis India Magazine. Archived from the original on 24 April 2013. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- "ET Awards 2008-09: Entrepreneur of the Year: GV Krishna Reddy". The Economic Times. 25 August 2009. Retrieved 12 July 2013.
- Bhatia, Dr. R. L. (2012). Real Estate Icons of India (PDF). Fun and Joy at Work.