Go-Kart Mozart are an English indie pop band founded by Lawrence, formerly of the bands Felt and Denim. Lawrence formed the group as a reaction to his previous bands' lack of commercial success. He has called it "the world's first B-side band," which he explains "simply meant that you would take away the pressure of I've got to write a hit single, I've got to write an album that's going to get in the top ten." Their name comes from a line in the song "Blinded by the Light" by Bruce Springsteen.
|Genres||Glam rock, Indie, Synthpop, Novelty rock|
|Labels||West Midlands Records|
In 1999, Go-Kart Mozart released their debut album, Instant Wigwam and Igloo Mixture. It was issued on West Midlands Records, a subsidiary of Cherry Red created for Lawrence's post-Felt releases. Tearing Up the Album Chart followed in 2005 and was again released on West Midlands.
Released specially on Record Store Day in April 2012, "New World in the Morning", a cover of the Roger Whittaker song, was a standalone single and was also featured in the film Lawrence of Belgravia. This was followed by the album On the Hot Dog Streets, which was released on June 2012. The album contained songs from the unreleased Denim album, 'Denim Take Over', as well as several new compositions.
A recording called Mozart's Mini-Mart was intended to follow On the Hot Dog Streets, initially as an accompanying mini-album. At the end of 2013, Cherry Red announced intentions for this to appear as a 2014 album. In November 2017, Cherry Red announced a new release date of 23 February 2018, alongside a new music video for "When You're Depressed".
In February 2018, Lawrence stated that the band would change their name to Mozart Estate following the release of a mini-album entitled Poundland and the Possibilities of Modern Shopping. He explained that the name Go-Kart Mozart "doesn't ring true anymore. It doesn't sit right in these times." Lawrence also confirmed plans to release a re-recorded version of Tearing Up the Album Chart, entitled Renovating the Album Charts.
- Instant Wigwam and Igloo Mixture (1999)
- Tearing Up the Album Chart (2005)
- On the Hot Dog Streets (2012)
- Mozart's Mini-Mart (2018)
- Poundland and the Possibilities of Modern Shopping (TBA)
- "We're Selfish & Lazy & Greedy" (2000)
- "New World in the Morning" (2012)
- Renovating the Album Chart (TBA)
- Hage, Erik. "Go-Kart Mozart - Music Biography, Credits and Discography". AllMusic. Retrieved 14 April 2013.
- Graham, Ben (20 February 2018). "Dismantled King Back On His Throne: The Strange World Of… Lawrence". The Quietus. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- Baines, Josh (9 February 2018). "Here Lies Lawrence, The Best Pop Star the World Never Really Knew". Noisey. Retrieved 6 May 2018.
- "West Midlands". Cherry Red Records. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- "Cherry Red Signs Classic Catalogue, New Albums and Artists". Name PR. 12 December 2013. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
- Scott, Hayley (20 February 2018). "Strong melodies for humdrum lives: The singular vision of Lawrence". Clash. Retrieved 8 May 2018.
|This article on a United Kingdom pop music band is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|