Pivotal Software(Redirected from GoPivotal)
Palo Alto, California
|Rob Mee (CEO)
Paul Maritz (Chairman)
Pivotal Software, Inc. (Pivotal) is a software and services company based in San Francisco and Palo Alto, California, with several other offices. Divisions include Pivotal Labs for consulting services, the Pivotal Cloud Foundry development group, a group developing some products for the big data market.
Pivotal Software was formed in 2012 after spinning out of EMC Corporation and VMware (which was majority-owned by EMC). The name came from the Pivotal Labs LLC which had been acquired by EMC, and briefly used the name GoPivotal, Incorporated. On April 24, 2013, the organization announced a $105 million investment from General Electric (for 10% equity) and Pivotal One, including Cloud Foundry for cloud computing.
Paul Maritz became Pivotal's chief executive immediately after the spin-out. Maritz had joined EMC in February 2008 when Pi Corporation, a company he co-founded, was acquired and was previously the CEO of VMware. The Greenplum Database (acquired by EMC in 2010) formed the basis of a division selling software for the big data market. In March, 2013, a distribution of Apache Hadoop called Pivotal HD was announced, including a version of the Greenplum software for it called Hawq.
Paul Maritz became Pivotal's Chairman and Rob Mee, founder of Pivotal labs, became chief executive officer of Pivotal Software on August 18, 2015. In May, 2016, a $253 million round of investment was announced, including Microsoft and Ford. EMC also converted $400 million of debt into equity at that time.
- Om Malik and Stacey Higginbotham (July 16, 2012). "VMware plans cloud spin out to keep up with Microsoft, Amazon and Google". GigaOM. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. April 15, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "GE Joins EMC and VMware in a Joint Venture to Challenge Software Megavendors in the Cloud". Press Release. April 24, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Quentin Hardy (April 24, 2013). "Pivotal's Audacious Plan". New York Times Bits. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "EMC To Acquire Pi Corporation, Developer of Personal Information Management Technology". Press release. EMC. February 21, 2008. Retrieved October 3, 2013.
- "Executive Team". Company web site. Pivotal. Archived from the original on November 18, 2013. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Jack Clark (April 24, 2013). "General Electric pours $105 MEEELION into Pivotal Initiative: Skunkworks lab for the industrial internet". The Register. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Timothy Prickett Morgan (July 17, 2013). "Pivotal ships eponymous Hadoop distro to the masses: An inquisitive HAWQ rides the big data elephant". The Register. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- Arik Hesselhdahl (May 5, 2016). "Ford and Microsoft lead $253 million investment in EMC-owned Pivotal". Recode. Retrieved August 12, 2016.
- "Pivotal's Funding Picture Just Got a Lot More Interesting: EMC's debt conversion should grease the skids for a Pivotal IPO". Fortune. May 9, 2016. Retrieved August 31, 2016.
- "Notice of Exempt Offering of Securities". United States Securities and Exchange Commission. May 6, 2016. Retrieved August 31, 2016.