Tesla Gigafactory 3 (Chinese: 特斯拉上海超级工厂) is a Tesla, Inc. factory currently under construction in Shanghai, China. The facility will produce battery cells along with Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y cars, at an initial production rate target of 250,000 electric cars per year.
|Location||Lingang, Pudong, Shanghai, PR China|
|Area||864,885 m2 (9,300,000 sq ft)|
The Shanghai regional government approved the agreement to build the production facility in July 2018, and a long-term lease was signed for 210 acres (85 ha) of land in October 2018. Construction began in December 2018 with the installation of secure fencing and site offices.
On 8 May 2018, the Tesla (Shanghai) company was established, with a share capital of 100 million yuan, wholly owned by Tesla Motors Hong Kong. On 10 July 2018 Tesla CEO Elon Musk signed an agreement with the Shanghai regional government to build the third Tesla Gigafactory in China.
On 8 August 2018, compulsory purchase order Shanghai  No. 090 was issued by Pudong New Area Planning and Land Administration, with a closing date for objections of 14 August 2018, and finalization scheduled to occur on 20 August 2018. On 26 September 2018, the bidding process for the newly acquired plots Q01-05 in the area designated as 04PD-0303 were advertised, with the restriction that the land be used for electric car manufacturing, with a minimum investment requirement. The investment requirement of 10.85 million yuan per mǔ (per 666.7 m2 or 7,200 sq ft) equated to a total minimum investment of 14 billion yuan ($2 billion US).
A construction permit was granted by the Shanghai municipal government authorizing work to begin after 29 December 2018, for a period of 180 days. The project contractor is China Construction Third Engineering Bureau Co., Ltd., part of China State Construction Engineering, a large state-owned construction company.
On 7 January 2019 the GroundBreaking Ceremony was held.
The bidding process ran between 17‒26 October 2018, with the proviso that if there was only one bidder meeting the requirements by 11:30 on 17 October 2018, then the process could be closed and finalized early. On 17 October 2018, Tesla won the long-term lease for 210 acres (85 ha) of land in Lingang, Shanghai and stated "construction to begin in the near future".:5:21
Tesla (Shanghai) had been the only bidder, with its bid of 973 million Chinese yuan for the 50-year lease covering the 864,885-square-metre (86.5-hectare) site, and this money coming from local Chinese banks. The Shanghai Land Transfer contract No. 14 with Tesla (Shanghai) requires construction work to begin within 6 months, and be complete within 30 months, with production started after 36 months, and full minimum tax revenues being paid after 60 months. The Land Transfer was scheduled to occur on 12 December 2018, and limits the maximum size of above-ground buildings to 1,729,770 square metres (18,620,000 sq ft) in area [sic] with a maximum height of 30 metres (100 ft). Up to 60,541 square metres (650,000 sq ft) of the area can be used for non-production office buildings. Phase 1 of the project will manufacture Tesla Model 3 and Tesla Model Y cars, with a production rate of 250,000 electric cars per year. Tesla stated that it would eventually be able to produce 500,000 electric vehicles per year at the site.
The public environmental impact consultation for Phase 1 of the project was opened on 24 October 2018 and scheduled to run for ten working days.Capital expenditure covering the land purchase and initial design costs for Gigafactory 3 were scheduled to occur in the fourth-quarter of 2018.
By December 2018, construction activity at the site was underway with site grading. Shanghai Mayor Ying Yong visited the site on 5 December. A subsidiary of China Minmetals was making preparations for piling foundations. Shanghai Construction Group was one of the companies bidding for part of the larger construction contract.
- 上海达恩贝拉环境科技发展有限公司 (24 October 2018). "特斯拉上海超级工厂项目(一期)环境影响评价公示" [Tesla (Shanghai) Gigafactory Project (Phase 1) Environmental Impact Assessment Publicity] (in Chinese). 上海市环境保护宣传教育中心. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
- Alan Ohnsman (Jul 10, 2018). "How Is Musk Going To Pay For Tesla's Chinese Gigafactory?". Forbes.com.
- "Tesla inks deal for Gigafactory 3 in China". techcrunch.com. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- "特斯拉独资在浦东注册成立公司" [Tesla establishes wholly-owned subsidiary in Shanghai Pudong]. 上海浦东门户网站 发. Pudong. 15 May 2018. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
特斯拉（上海） 有限公司注册资本 1 亿元，股东为特斯拉汽车香港有限公司，公司成立日期为
- "Tesla Plots Bold China Factory Move, Stays Silent on Cost". Bloomberg. Retrieved 19 July 2018.
- Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Administration (8 August 2018). "沪〔浦〕拟征地告第090号" [Shanghai [Pudong] proposed land acquisition  No. 090] (in Chinese). 上海市规划和国土资源管理局 [Pudong New Area Planning and Land Administration]. Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- 包雨朦 (12 October 2018). "特斯拉上海工厂选址浮出：临港86万平方米造车用地挂牌出让" [Tesla Shanghai factory site is under tender: 860,000 square meters of car-manufacturing land for sale in Lingang]. 澎湃新闻. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Administration (2018-09-26). "地块公告号：201813801" [Land parcel: 201813801].
临港重装备产业区 04PD-0303单元Q01-05地块 … 四至范围： … 东至规划预留东海二桥控制线绿化带, 南至人民塘绿化带, 西至南奉界河绿化带, 北至老里塘河绿化带 … (平方米)： 864885.0 … 出让年限： 50 … 竞得价(万元)： 97300.0 … 竞得人： 特斯拉（上海）有限公司
- Alvarez, Simon (3 January 2019). "Tesla's Gigafactory 3 in China starts preparations with 6-month construction permit". Teslarati. Retrieved 6 January 2019.
- "Tesla's Gigafactory 3 groundbreaking Ceremony". 7 January 2019.
- "Tesla secures 210-acre land for Gigafactory 3 in China, says 'on track' with accelerated construction plan". Electrek. 17 October 2018. Retrieved 17 October 2018.
- Chris Lister, VP of Gigafactory; Jat Dhillon, Director of Manufacturing (30 November 2018). This is Elon Musk's key to Tesla's future (video). The Verge. Retrieved 2 December 2018 – via YouTube.
- Hancock, Tom; Ju, Sherry (18 October 2018). "Tesla pays $140m for lease on first non-US factory in Shanghai". Financial Times. Retrieved 18 October 2018.
- Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Administration. "沪规土资(2018)出让合同第14号" [Shanghai Regulation Land Transfer (2018) Contract No. 14] (in Chinese). Retrieved 23 October 2018.
- Shanghai Planning and Land Resources Administration. "沪规土资(2018)出让合同第14号 （1.0版）" [Shanghai Regulation Land Transfer (2018) Contract No. 14, Version 1.0] (contract) (in Chinese).
- "Tesla Third Quarter 2018 Update". Tesla. 24 October 2018. p. 5. Retrieved 24 October 2018.
Q4 capex projection includes the purchase of land in China and initial design and other expenditures for Gigafactory 3.
- City of Shanghai (5 December 2018). "中芯、特斯拉、积塔……应勇今天调研了这些重大投资项目！" [SMIC, Tesla and Jita … Ying Yong visted these major investment projects today!] (Press release) (in Chinese). Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- Cheng, Evelyn (5 December 2018). "Tesla's China factory is set to begin production late next year, Shanghai government says". CNBC. Retrieved 5 December 2018.
- "Hit by trade war, Tesla opens bid process to build China Gigafactory". South China Morning Post. 6 December 2018. Retrieved 17 December 2018.
Shanghai Construction Group is among several firms bidding … Shanghai Baoye Group, a China Minmetals subsidiary, is preparing for the delivery of a large amount of concrete pipe piles and steel pile tips in the second half of December 
- 635670279 Gigafactory 3 outline on OpenStreetMap
- 烏瓦 (19 October 2018). 特斯拉（中国）超级工厂 [Tesla (China) [Giga]factory] (HD drone footage) (in Chinese) – via Youtube.
Watermelon land … and rice fields … This [last] one and a half months, all leveled
- 烏瓦 (12 December 2018). 特斯拉（中国）工厂\Tesla China factory（2018年12月12日）工地已开始地面建筑 [Tesla (China) Factory (2018-12-12): Construction has begun] (HD drone footage) (in Chinese).
site … has been encircled by a wall and ground work is underway. … workers creating construction site offices.
- New China TV/Xinuha Video (7 January 2019). Tesla breaks ground ceremony in Shanghai – via Youtube.
U.S. electric carmaker Tesla broke ground on a gigafactory in Shanghai, its first outside the United States.