This article needs additional citations for verification. (September 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Geoffrey Haydon Manning (1926–2018) was an Australian author and historian, commonly known as Geoff Manning and cited as an author as Geoffrey H. Manning. He is known particularly for his books on South Australian placenames: the first edition Romance of Place Names of South Australia (1986) was followed by Manning's Place Names of South Australia (1990), and the final illustrated edition of 1,400 pages, The Place Names Of Our Land: A South Australian Anthology (2009). His website offers links to many of his South Australian local histories plus to the entire Place Names research - https://geoffmanning.info
Early life and careerEdit
After retirement from the bank, Manning devoted himself fully to writing on local history.
His works on South Australian placenames contain much information supplemental to, and correcting, the much earlier Nomenclature of South Australia (1908) by Rodney Cockburn (1877–1932) and What's in a Name, a revised edition by his son Stewart Cockburn (1921–2009).
His fully indexed work on South Australian placenames has been digitised by the State Library of South Australia and is, with his collection of significant articles from South Australian newspapers, freely available on-line.
- Geoffrey H. Manning Hope Farm, Cradle of the McLaren Vale Wine Industry (1980) ISBN 0959439404
- Geoffrey H. Manning Whisky Makes You Well (1983) ISBN 095918760X
- Geoffrey H. Manning Hope Farm Chronicle (1984) ISBN 0959562990
- Geoffrey H. Manning (ed.) Memoirs of Thomas Frost, 1825–1910 (1985) ISBN 0959008705
- Geoffrey H. Manning The Tragic Shore (1988) ISBN 0909378444
- Geoffrey H. Manning and Haydon R. Manning Worth Fighting For (1989) ISBN 095953816X on bank employees' unionism
- Geoffrey H. Manning Manning's Place Names of South Australia, Adelaide, 1990
- Geoffrey H. Manning 50 Years of Singing; A History of the Adelaide Harmony Choir (1996) ISBN 9780646274003
- Geoffrey H. Manning and Alison Painter The Grange Golf Club; A history of the First 70 Years, 1926–1996 (1997) ISBN 0646313703
- Geoffrey H. Manning A Colonial Experience, 1838–1910 (2001) 3 Volumes set ISBN 0957865058
- Geoffrey H. Manning Manning’s Place Names of South Australia From Aaron Creek to Zion Hill (c.2006 ) "Includes facsimile of Rodney Cockburn's 'Nomenclature of South Australia' ." (CD-ROM)
- Geoffrey H. Manning The Place Names Of Our Land: A South Australian Anthology (2009) ISBN 9780947284787
- geoffmanning.info Geoff Manning's published histories and links to Place Names and his subject catalogue of 100 years of South Australian newspapers (1836–1936)