McIntosh Group (formerly Fine Sounds Group) is an American holding company specializing in audio equipment and owns the brands McIntosh Laboratory, Audio Research, Sonus Faber, Wadia Digital, Sumiko and Fine Sounds Asia.
The Fine Sounds Group project took shape in 2007, when the asset management company Quadrivio SGR – main shareholder of the group – acquired the brand Sonus Faber, an Italian company specializing in high-end loudspeakers. In 2009 Mauro Grange joined the group as CEO of Sonus Faber.
The "buy and build" strategy carried on by Quadrivio resulted in the acquisition of Audio Research in 2009, Sumiko in 2010, Wadia in 2011 and McIntosh Laboratories in 2012, which constitute the holdings of Fine Sounds Group. Through the acquisition of these brands, Fine Sounds Group became a relevant holding company in the sector of high-end audio, with €50 million sales in 2011. The holding company took part in an official event as one unique family for the first time in 2013, with the participation in the Munich High End Show.
On 9 May 2014 Mauro Grange and Charlie Randall, president of McIntosh Laboratory, Inc., announced their plans for a management buyout of Fine Sounds Group in partnership with LBO France and Yarpa, including a relocation of the Headquarters from Milan to New York.
On 10 August 2016 Fine Sounds Group was officially renamed McIntosh Group.
In July 2017 McIntosh Group appointed Jeff Poggi to co-Chief Executive Officer and Board member.
- McIntosh Laboratory, founded in 1949. The American producer of high fidelity and home entertainment systems.
- Sonus faber, founded in 1983, has been producing acoustic speakers for over 30 years.
- Wadia Digital, one of the first companies dedicated to digital audio reproduction. Also Apple iPod and iPhone docking stations.
- Sumiko, North American importer and distributor of audio components and specifically of all the brands of the Fine Sounds portfolio.
- Pryma, Brand name of Sonus Faber headphones made in Italy
- Fine Sounds Asia, importer and distributor of Audio Research and Sonus faber for the Asian market.
- Fine Sounds U.K., importer and distributor of McIntosh, Sonus faber, and Bassocontinuo for the U.K. market.
- "Audio Research Acquired by Quadrivio". Stereophile.com. 30 January 2008. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Fine Sounds SpA Acquires Sumiko". Stereophile.com. 11 July 2011. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Fine Sounds Acquires Wadia Digital". AVguide. Archived from the original on 15 January 2014. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Fine Sounds Group Acquires McIntosh Laboratories". The Absolute Sound. 8 October 2012. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Fondo Q2 - Fine Sounds Group". Quadrivio SGR. Archived from the original on 6 October 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Fine Sounds Group @ Munich Hi End 2013". YouTube. 6 June 2013. Retrieved 20 February 2014.
- "Grange and Randall Lead Management Buyout of Fine Sounds Group in Partnership with LBO France and Yarpa". marketwatch.com. 9 May 2014.
- "Fine Sounds Group changes name to McIntosh Group". Twice.com. 10 August 2016.
- "McIntosh Group Adds Co-CEO". Retrieved 22 January 2019.
|This Italian corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|