In linguistics, an ejaculation is a short utterance that usually expresses a strong feeling, often in an incomplete sentence (a noun phrase, or sometimes an imperative). Ejaculations are usually just one or two words ("Ouch!", "Shoo!") and in grammar are contrasted with exclamations, which do partake in the "normal" grammatical structure of a language. "damn it", for instance, is a clausal exclamation, and "for Pete's sake" and "up yours" are called phrasal exclamations. (Clausal exclamations contain subject and verb; phrasal exclamations are groups of words usually from different parts of speech.)
In Christian piety, an ejaculation, sometimes known as ejaculatory prayer or aspiration, is a very short prayer often attached as a form of pious devotion. Within Roman Catholicism, some common ejaculations include the Jesus Prayer, the Fatima Prayer of the Holy Rosary, Come Holy Spirit, and Eternal Rest. In Methodism, some common ejaculations include "Praise the Lord!", "Hallelujah!", and "Amen!". The Puritan theologian William Perkins urged his pupils to "pray continunally" through "secret and inward ejaculations of the heart". The Lutheran rite for corporate Confession and Absolution includes the pastor adding a few ejaculations after penitents recite the Confiteor.
- Hurford, James R. (1994-11-03). Grammar. Cambridge UP. p. 111. ISBN 9780521456272. Retrieved 8 March 2013.
- Glavich, Mary Kathleen (2010-01-01). For Catechetical Leaders: Teaching Catechists to Pray: A Companion to the Catholic Way to Pray. Twenty-Third Publications. p. 275. ISBN 9781585957781. Retrieved 2013-03-10.
- Stedman, John (1830). Sermons on various subjects. p. 120. Retrieved March 10, 2013.
- "Shouting Methodists". Jesus Fellowship. 20 January 2007. Retrieved 3 April 2017.
- Black, Vicki K. (1 January 2011). Welcome to Anglican Spiritual Traditions. Church Publishing, Inc. p. 82. ISBN 9780819227225.
- Brown, John Newton (1844). Encyclopaedia of Religious Knowledge. p. 1259.
|This linguistics article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|